I need a cheap .308 similar caliber rifle. Recomendations? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Flounder

Default Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks for everything guys! But sadly i live in California where gun stores are few and far in between. as well as everything being much more expensive than it should be. :( looking through the rifles you've all suggested I realized a big plus in the rifle i want would run be for it to run off of mags preferably 10rds each however it's not a big deal. Just something i would love to have. Something much more important is having proper iron sights on my rifle and being able to leave them on underneath the scope. By proper iron sights i only mean irons that you can't take off without a welder. The only rifle i've seen with iron sights like what i want is the mosin-nagant. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to tell how good of shape the barrel and the action are in from a visual inspection? I know to look for obvious things like rust and pitting in the barrel but is there anything else i should be looking for? Something I might normally miss. I'm also wondering about good but cheap scopes something along the lines of a 3-12X 40mm and a slightly more forgiving butt pad. Thanks for the help on everything!!!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Not so expensive rifle recommendations

I like the Marlin xl7 or the Savage 200. I personally don't like the Remington 710 or 770. I also don't like the Mossberg 4x4 or the new Savage Edge. The Marlin xl7 and the Savage 200 use basically the same action and barrel attachment assembly. I think that you are making a mistake wanting iron sights that are usable with a scope on. This forces you to go with aluminum see thru mounts that are tall and not sturdy. The height will put the scope higher than ideal and it will throw the balance of the rifle off. The rifle will cost about 300.xx and try to have a least 100-200 for a good scope. There are alot of quality scopes for 150.xx that are night and day better then those in the 50-100 range. A good 3x9x40 scope on a good rifle will be all you need for a lifetime of shooting.

Karl
Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
B&C 160 Class

thats good advice from karl stevens 200 or the marlin.i would recoomend the savage 110 but i think it might be more then you want to pay.totally agree about the rem 770 and the edge.stay away from those
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

My friend bought a Savage 111 scope package fro $400. The scope is kinda crappy so it would be best to find just the rifle itself. Its just like the Stevens 200 except it has a better synthetic stock, a detachable magazine, and fancier looking bolt.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Scrub Buck

go to the gun shop and hold the guns... here in missouri i can get a brand new model 700 30.06 for $380. or a .308 for $300. buy holding the guns you could get a good feel of the gun you need