AR's in the woods? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
B&C 100 Class

did you think i was attacking the AR platform? when this whole thread is about me taking my AR in the woods? really? people should read the titles of what theyre posting on. i was calling the other guy unsportsmanlike because he has a spray and pray mentallity. he is the kind of guy who will wound deer all season and get AR's outlawed. again, wasnt calling you unsportsmanlike, the other guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that there was a magazine capacity limit for hunting. I believe thats why the idea of using military weapons is supposed to be less frowned upon, because yes one could take a deer out with an AK, but they aren't supposed to be allowed to go out with a 30 round banana clip attached. I could be wrong, but i thought that was the way it worked, that a gun had to be of a certain power, and that in hunting circumstances it had to be using both soft point bullets and lower capacity magazines.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawT Sauc3 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that there was a magazine capacity limit for hunting. I believe thats why the idea of using military weapons is supposed to be less frowned upon, because yes one could take a deer out with an AK, but they aren't supposed to be allowed to go out with a 30 round banana clip attached. I could be wrong, but i thought that was the way it worked, that a gun had to be of a certain power, and that in hunting circumstances it had to be using both soft point bullets and lower capacity magazines.

you are almost 100% right. except you have guys, who have private land, or think the game warden isnt looking, and load thier magazines all the way hoping to get 30 shots on a deer. and as far as powerful enough, new york state says (pertaining to legal implements)= Rifle—Any centerfire rifle.

so, if i really really wanted to(im not going to) i could go out with a .17 remington fireball, because is it a centerfire cartridge after all, and attempt to kill a deer.

and as far as the unsportsmanlike comment, i still stand by it. my hunting group has an unwritten law, if you miss the first time, wait till next time. not keep spraying. that just wastes ammo, and could very possibly wound a deer. do you want your deer herd(or someone elses) being thinned out by coyotes because of you 30 ill placed rounds?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

Which is why i prefer to stick to bolt action rifles as at least if i'm firing a second time i cant do it in insanely rapid succession. and i do understand the concern, but i can't say it entirely revolves around the rifle. if you could attach a 30 round mag to a remington people would be doing the same thing. Every activity brings about it idiots, but you can't judge an individual soley based on their gun. i've heard more people firing 5 round semi-auto successions out of the standard hunting rifle than i've ever heard 30 round clips being fired off.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

so i'm not a sportsmen ok that your opinion but i guess its ok for others to use a shotgun unpluged with 5 rounds of buckshot ok whatever i never said that i was going to use a clip with 30 rounds what ever is standard in the gun is what i will shoot and just a bit of info for you i teach hunter safey class and i pratice what i preach i always stress self control and safety safety and more safety so i'm sorry if i upset you with the thinking of i'm rambo on a mission that is simply not the case have a nice day and good luck to you this season and spiker i looked at rock river there nice thanks for the tip

Last edited by su106; 11-09-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

roger that. ill sleep like a baby tonight. im just going off of what you said, and you never gave me any specifics, and you gave me the option to call you unsportsmanlike. now youre throwing different variables in. i get it. and as long as we're going along with whats legal, assuming every hunter is legal at all times, buckshot is illegal for use on the animal its named after and its female counterpart. i dont like shotguns for deer persoanlly, but have used them. just not the same as a rifel. quite effective though, just not my "style".
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by su106;48598i
never said that i was going to use a clip with 30 rounds what ever is standard in the gun is what i will shoot and just a bit of info for you i teach hunter safety class
Since you teach hunters safety shouldn't you know the difference between a clip and a magazine?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
Since you teach hunters safety shouldn't you know the difference between a clip and a magazine?
i was leaving it alone. i pick my battles.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
i was leaving it alone. i pick my battles.
People calling a magazine a clip is one of my biggest pet peeves.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

im in the amry. it drives me up a wall. "a clip is what your momma puts in her hair on friday night"... i just choose my battles, and let it be. you say it in my presence(not on a computer) i will correct you.