Deer Hunting Forums banner

The reduced recoil ammo on the firing line..

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I just spent the last few days at my gunclub with non members shooting up a storm getting ready for the Deer opener. I was pleasently surprised watching a father and son shooting their bolt action 270s with the new Remington reduced recoil loads. Both of them were shooting fine with the standard 150gr loads and then they broke out the box of reduced recoil ones. I didn't shoot their rifles but they both reported reduced recoil and nice groups at the 100yard range we were at. I think they even were saying that in their rifles the loads were shooting very close on paper to the full power ones they had been shooting. I was surprised that they were shooting full power 150gr loads but they said they had been getting great performance on Deer using the 150s. I had always been told that 130s/140s were the weight of choice for Deer. Have any other Members confirmed this kind of performance. I reload my own for myself and my sons but most shooters have to shoot factory.

Karl

#2 ·
Karl, a lot of people believe in the 130 gr for the 270 win as ideal wt for deer. I prefer the 140 gr in a good bullet design. All three wts shoot very well for me. I take 140 gr Swift A-frames in a Rem 270 Mountain rifle as a back up elk rifle to the Weatherby 270 in 150gr. I find the 270 win to shoot just about everything very accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.