Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

shoot them we have alot of them and thats how we fix the probelm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Coyotes, a problem- is an air rifle a solution??

We are also having a problem with coyotes in my city and in my neighborhood. I have contacted the City, they say contact the DNR. The DNR says it's a City matter. The City just had a meeting and said we are suppose to harass the coyotes and that will make them leave. I don't think that will work. Question, will an air rifle kill a coyote and if so at what range would it still be effective? We are not allowed to shoot a firearm in the city but an air rifle should fall into a grey area. I haven't declared war on them yet, but will if they kill any of the dogs in our area. Several have been killed in the City, and they say well there is a leash law so no dogs should be running free. You have to love our elected members..

Karl
Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

one reason that they are not intimidated by human presence is the possibility that they are crossing with domesticated dogs. when this occurs the fear of humans is removed. this also presents a problem that attacks on humans from large packs may not remain isolated and uncommon.
there is almost nothing worse in the woods than a pack of wild dogs.
there is nothing worse in the woods than a pack of hungry wild dogs.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 AM
B&C 160 Class

2 down keep going
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM
B&C 120 Class

There pelts will be worth something. If you can skin them (cased) and dry them you could try to sell them. If not try to get them to a trapper/fur buyer in the area. I know they are a nuisance critter to most but taking up trapping has changed my view of yotes. To many trappers here in New York they are a way of life. Most hunters just kill and leave them(i'm guilty myself in the past) but I think an effort should be put forth to not waste our natural resources.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

I took out another one last night. I kid you not I was maybe 10 yards away from it and hammered it with a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. It seen me, but I just kept slowly walking towards it and my dogs, and it couldn't care less. I followed the path I seen it walk in from and didn't see anymore, but I could hear them. I'm gonna be ready tonight when they come back, and I am gonna drop as many as I can. They are acting aggressively towards my dogs, so I think its time to thin the pack some more. It just shocks me that I can get that close to them.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 PM

Nice work, they may actually be looking at a dog meal so get them now before they get into your dogs.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

i moved the dogs into the house tonight, and so far I haven't seen any. I figure my dogs are what's keeping them interested. I still plan on knocking them off if they come in. I have shot coyotes before, but they were all 40 yard plus shots, but these coyotes are not afraid of me and I can get close.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma

whack them all if you can, they obviously have no fear of man so that makes them a danger to small kids and the elderly, or you if there are enough of them and they decide to make a snack of you. I would let the game warden or county extension agent know about your taking of them, just in case they wanna check them for diseases such as rabies. a few years back I ran a warehouse in the town of chickasha, there were red foses around but seeing them was uncommon, I came to work one day and found one in the middle of the yard, just sitting there, so I called animal control who came out and took 7 shots with a 20 gauge before they hit this animal, they tested it and it had rabies
Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

I agree with goose... but I wouldn't bring up the yotes you've killed already.... shhh on that one. But they might go ahead and tell you to shoot them if they are being aggressive. Remember also, just when you think you have thined out the yotes, there's MANY more where they came from.