Question about rifle for son? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Question about rifle for son?

I have a 15 year old and a 11 year old who need to hunt with me. I need to get them each a rifle but the budget is limiting. I have a co-worker who loaned me a gun that seems like some kind of military rifle be also provided about 500 rounds of ammo. The gun has no scope it is open sighted. It is stamped "Russian M44 7.62 X 54R" It looks to be in decent condition (safe to fire)But what is it and what kind of effective range should I expect it to have for my son to hunt. Also open sights are adjusted up and down no windage (Correct)???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'm very familiar with the rifle the guy loaned you. You have a Mosin Nagant M44, with the fold out bayonet. Yours is most likely Russian, although some were made in Poland. The year of the rifle will be stamped between the receiver and the rear sight on top of the gun. I use a customized Mosin Nagant (not the same model as yours) for deer hunting. To adjust that rifle for windage you have to drift the front sight, and the rear sight is set for meters. Although it will most likely shoot high at 100 yards. The 500 rounds you have are probably military surplus, but I dont know because you didn't specify. Those are NOT suitable for hunting as they would be FMJ, you need soft point bullets. You may just want to invest in a Marlin bolt action rifle for your sons. The Marlin bolt actions are fairly cheap but they're a nice rifle. The 7.62x54R round is basically the same as a the .308 cartridge, but they are not interchangeable by any means.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

well, a quick google search revealed to me that the M44 is a mosin nagant. the very same rifle used by russian snipers in WWII. that should give you a little idea about what your range is.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
well, a quick google search revealed to me that the M44 is a mosin nagant. the very same rifle used by russian snipers in WWII. that should give you a little idea about what your range is.
The Russian snipers used M91/30's. A longer version with no fold out bayonet. I own a 91/30, an M38 and a custom 91/30. The M38 is the same as the M44 just without a bayonet.

Last edited by WisconsinDeer; 10-27-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
B&C 100 Class

so why would the FMJ not be suitable for hunting and what is the effective range
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
so why would the FMJ not be suitable for hunting and what is the effective range
FMJ are non expanding meaning they just pass through the game animal causing minimal damage. The animal will die, but it will be slow and it will take a while...and you probably wouldn't find it. Its also illegal for deer. The effective range would be as far as you could accurately use the iron sights. 100 yards atleast, MAYBE 150 yards. The trigger on the Mosin is terrible so you would have to overcome that. There are some upgradable triggers ranging from $45 to $89.

This is good ammo for hunting - Prvi Partizan Ammunition 7.62x54mm Rimmed Russian (7.62x53mm Rimmed) 150 Soft Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default My sugestions for your sons

I have a 15 year old that has no problem with the recoil of his 30-06 that he chose/stole from me. It might be more of a problem with the 11 year old handling the recoil of any Deer class cartridge. For starting I had both of my boys shooting 22 rifles. I think that this is very important that they learn the basics of rifle shooting without the recoil or blast of a Deer class cartridge. If you are ready to buy something for them I would recommend a standard rifle cartridge. A bolt action modern hunting rifle in either .308, .270, or 30-06 will last them a lifetime. Marlin makes an entry bolt action the xl7 that can be found onsale for under 300 dollars. Something used could also be found for your boys at a gunshow, but make sure you have a gunsmith checkover the used firearms before you shoot them.

Karl
Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 AM
B&C 100 Class

The m44 is a mosin nagant variant. I just purchased a 91/30 to use for hunting this year. They both might actually be suitable for your sons. the 11 year old might deal with a bit more kick as he's smaller but compared to my youth stock 308 that i used to own my mosin kicks a lot less. I would recommend if you go that route to give the 11 year old the m44 and the 15 year old a 91/30 as the m44 is shorter and should be easier to wield for the 11 year old. The guns are dirt cheap though, picked up my 91/30 for $100 and you can pick up a synthetic stock for like $50 so as far as a budget shooter thats as cheap as a deer rifle you're going to find.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 AM
B&C 100 Class

Location: currently in oklahoma city, soon I will be moving to little axe oklahoma

the mosin nagants are more than adequate for deer, and old military rifles make good deer rifles. I used a s.m.l.e. (short magazine lee-enfield) chambered in 303 british for many years, I took my first deer with it, and quite a few after that. after several years I had the rifle sporterized, with a sport rifle stock, drilled and tapped for scope rings and added a sling. it worked well and served me well until the ex wife traded it for dope. I have been hunting with a single shot breakover 280 remington that I bought at walmart for $206 ever since (got rid of the dope fiend wife so my guns are safe now). I reload so I build my own ammo for these guns, but hunting ammo is available for most military calibers. I am thinking of buying a mosin and getting it ready for deer season next year myself
Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

It may have been a few years back by now, but there's a picture in the gallery of a 9-point and the Mosin used to drop him. It's a great deer rifle and if it's the last weekend of the season and there's nothing yet in the freezer, it's the Mosin that I'll be grabbing for first out of my gun safe. I think mama picked this one up for around $150 several years back, but that was fairly cheap for what they were going for in the area. If you hunt around for them, you can get them for a lot cheaper than that now.

I'd highly recommend one for anyone looking for a really cheap deer rifle. But be careful, a lot of them are older than proverbial dirt and you might want to take a good look at it to make sure you're not getting something that's been used/abused.

Just my $.02 worth . . .