7 Mag - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default 7 Mag

I just Moved to Kansas From Louisiana, and am excited for the new hunting experience. I have always hunted with a 12ga but felt I needed a rifle with all these open fields. I bought a Remington 7 mm Mag. After setting the scope (20 shots)my arm is dead. Is thhis too much gun for deer hunting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

7mm mag is a big rifle. lol. have some friends that use them in georgia. seems like alittle over kill, but that is just my opinion. lol. 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm-08, 25-06, 30-30, 243 will take down any deer in the southeast. all about shot placement. but hey, each his own. lol. a good recoil pad and maybe a muzzlebrake will take alot of the bite out of that rifle.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks, I might have been better off considering before buying. I wanted something that could possibly take down an Elk also so tried to split the difference. Gander Moutain has good salesmen.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

well, you didn't mention elk in the original post. lol. i would look into getting a muzzle brake installed. to lessen the recoil if it bothers ya. there is some light loads (bullet weights) that work great on deer. a good gunsmith could install you a muzzle brake for under $200.00. down here anyways.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM

pretty stout recoil! It would be pretty good for elk as you say. It's a shame they didn't sell you a 7mm-08 you would have liked the lesser recoil. If it really bothers you I'd either put it aside and get something else or possibly sell it and get something more mild. However, you have the hard job job done the sight-in so it should be a one shot thing now! One thing you don't want is to be recoil shy at the moment of truth and only you can make that decision. What model Remington rifle did you purchase if you don't mind my asking.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

I've got an uncle that hunts with a 7mm mag. He hunts in open areas where he needs to reach out and touch them. I suppose if you're hunting closer than 75-100 yards 7mm mag would be a bit much though.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemster99 View Post
well, you didn't mention elk in the original post. lol. i would look into getting a muzzle brake installed. to lessen the recoil if it bothers ya. there is some light loads (bullet weights) that work great on deer. a good gunsmith could install you a muzzle brake for under $200.00. down here anyways.
The thing about muzzle breaks is that they make the rifle quite a bit louder. I suppose with a 7mm mag you better be wearing ear protection anyway.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM

WD, my son had to sell his 260 Rem cal in the Browning a-bolt because it had that boss system on it and literally would pierce you ear drums with the most screeching high pitched sound ever. I don't know what a simple muzzle break does for sound but I suggest anyone purchasing a rifle with the boss system shoot it first.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
pretty stout recoil! It would be pretty good for elk as you say. It's a shame they didn't sell you a 7mm-08 you would have liked the lesser recoil. If it really bothers you I'd either put it aside and get something else or possibly sell it and get something more mild. However, you have the hard job job done the sight-in so it should be a one shot thing now! One thing you don't want is to be recoil shy at the moment of truth and only you can make that decision. What model Remington rifle did you purchase if you don't mind my asking.

Recoil doesnt bother me I was just commenting that 20 shots in an hour was a bit much. If I have to shoot 20 times in a hunting season with a 6 deer limit I should probablly take up golf or somethingelse.

The rifle is a cheaper model the remington model 770. I like its look and it seems to shoot ok ( On the range) Never hunted with it obviosly. I am not one who goes for the prettier wood designer stocks the black composite is good enough for me. The Bolt does seem a bit rough for lack of a better word i added some lube oil after cleaning thinking that would help just not a reall smooth action. Im hunting Big game on a School Teachers Budget with 4 kids.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

Geuss the heart of my question want clearly stated. I have been given to seemingly contradictory thoughts on my rifle selection they are these:

1. The rifle is too hot ( meaning it will pass through the deer and he will run off forcing a potentially long and burdensome tracking session)

2. It is too powerful and will cause undue damage to the deer wasting meat.

I dont want to waste game due to losing them and them dying elsewhere or due to wasted meat from damage. Guess ill just aim at the head and kill or miss. LOL

Thoughts?