Deer Hunting Forums banner

"Good" Beginner Rifle???

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw an ad in a flier today for a Remington Model 770 Bolt Action with what looked like a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope for $279. For TX white tail, would that be a good buy for someone just learning to shoot (like my daughter for example)? :confused:

Hindsight being 20/20, guess I should have added I was looking at getting this in .243 caliber.

#2 · (Edited)
Depends on the caliber and size of the shooter. I don't know much at all about that particular model Remington, but in 270, 30-06 ect might be a tad much recoil for daughter/wife. The price is probably pretty decent, for the rifle/scope combo. My 2010 book shows a 770 in vg condition at 225.00 and good condition at 175.00. Add the scope and $250-275.00 would seem fair all around. The book does show a 770 in a youth model, subtract 25.00 across the board for that model. If the combo is brand new the price seems to a good buy. Just make sure the recoil issue won't be a major problem. Kids can be turned off of shooting by recoil sensitivity.

#3 ·
Remington 770 series rifle, my opinion...

I would recommend either the Marlin xl7/xs7 or the Savage 200 series long before I would consider the Remington 770. The Remington 770 is an upgraded model 710, that was not something you wanted to spend hard earned money on. The Remington Model 700 or Model 7 are wonderful and a joy to own and shoot. How old is your daughter? Make sure that the stock fits her. Many grown women require the short buttstock that the youth models provide. An overly long stock will make recoil more uncomfortable as she will not be able to be in the proper position to let the rifle move when it fires. Both the Marlin and Savage listed above offer youth models in short action calibers. I think either the .243 or .308 firing the new reduced recoil loads are great options. Savage is offering a new entry level rifle at a lower price point then the 200 series, I looked at one today and would stay clear of it. I don't mean to insult someone that currently owns a model 710/770 but I think there are better options for the money. The scope they include in packaged rifles are nothing to become excited about.

Karl

#5 ·
New Savage Edge rifle

Yes thanks I just looked at one a couple of hours ago. They also went with a cheaper receiver than the standard Model 110 series one used in the Savage 200. I think it is clear they are trying to counter the Remington 770 with the new model Edge. I like the idea of bringing down the cost of rifles but at some point it becomes a Yugo. The old saying of you get what you pay for, is not totally wrong. I still stand by my suggestion of the Marlin xl7/xs7 or Savage 200 as a great buy.

Karl

#6 ·
Maybe even look at a nice marlin lever action, scoped? Don't forget clean used rifles in mild calibers. For deer it's still hard to beat a 300 savage, 30-30win, 35 rem, 243 , and the newer 260 rem are all good for kids, wives, and those of us who don't need the heavy kickers anymore. Heck I'm looking forward to shooting the 250-3000 sav for deer.

#7 ·
I hate to read these reports on Remington's production of not so quality rifles being sold today. I know they have to offer something for everyone but their great history of quality for the money products might cost them in the future sales department. This is one reason I like the older stuff, quality walnut, good steel, excellent fit and finish.

#9 ·
When i picked up a 770 -.270 for my kids first deer gun i tried other rifles same price range(working the bolts)they all felt sloppy so i got the one with the stock i thought he would like the best and had the best the recoil bad. I dont regret it at all. I can hit a golf ball at 100 yrds.(bench) I would not go from a 700 to a 770 but a 770 to a 700 ok.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. As y'all so aptly put it - you get what you pay for - and hunting rifles are no different. Guess I'll shy away from that "bargain" for now and will look for something better to come along.

WhoDat - welcome to DHC from Central Texas. To answer your "curiosity" --
"I just bought my first Rifle a 770 (7mm) I just posted curious if it was to big for deer."
7mm too big? Nah!!! Just look at the posting somewhere in here for Mosin-Nagant -- it's a 7.62mm. The one in the pic has a synthetic stock/scope and the one I have is 'original' wood stock w/open sites. Rifle may be older than proverbial dirt - but it still does what it was designed for - dropping whatever it's aimed at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.