How to tell what ammo your gun "likes" - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Default How to tell what ammo your gun "likes"

Hi guys. Grew up hunting small game. Nearly 30 now and want to get into deer hunting. Bought a rifle with a scope and have been to the range a few times.

I've got the gun sighted in fairly well I feel like. So far I've just been shooting Hornady ammo since the guy I bought it from prefers that.

I keep hearing about how all guns are different and you have to figure out what ammo your gun likes.

Stupid question - how the heck do I know what it likes? With the cost of ammo at $1/bullet - does that mean I have to spend a small fortune trying a box of each at the range each weekend to see which kind I can shoot the most accurately with? Hopefully not.

If I can group reasonably well with the Hornady factory ammo at 100 yards - can't I just stick with that? Where I plan to hunt this year, shots usually don't get much further than that anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
B&C 160 Class

what are the size of the groups at 100yds.if your groups are 1.5 inches or less than you are fine with the hornady but if their larger than that you can do better.if bigger try some reasonably priced ammo remington core lokt,federal fusion, winchester super x etc.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

This is a large question but lets talk of the basics. Pick a bullet weight and type of bullet correct for the game you are hunting. What kind of yardage will you shoot as an average, so you can zero the gun . Factory ammo has come a long way as far as accuracy in the last twenty years and is mostly very accurate. You can reload which gives you a lot of possibilities and to fine tune your own ammo. First shoot for grouping at an average yardage such as 50 or 100 yards.Make sure you use a steady rest like sand bags or a gun vise. After you find a grouping that is to your liking such as 1"- 2" groups then clean your gun w/o gun oil.Go back to the range and repeat the test with the same ammo.Inspect your case's for any signs of high pressures or flattened primers ,all which will tell you that the pressures are to high and you shouldn't use this particular load. Other things to look for may be the bolt operating harder than normal before or after shooting a round. NEVER force a round into the chamber. There is a lot to it , depending on how deep you want to get into it. Sorry if I added to the confusion, but it can be simple or it can be confusing.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

you can slim down your choices by calling the manufacturer to see what they recommend I know my Roger they recommended Federal ammunition & that is all I use through it & am very pleased with the combo
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Suggestions on Factory ammo choices for Deer

It was said very well in another post, but here are some suggestions for the most popular calibres. These loads will be onsale at the local discount department stores ie Wallmart, K-mart, ect.

If the calibre is 30-06 and you are after Deer your suggested loads will be 150gr, 165gr, or a max weight of 180gr

If the calibre is .308 Win then you are looking at a bullet weight for Deer
of 150gr, 165gr

If the calibre is 270 Win then you are looking at a bullet weight of Deer
of 130gr, 140gr, or 150gr

These are the basic standard weights used for Deer with these calibers. Post if your rifle is not in one of these choices. Others such as the 243, 6mm, 300 savage, 280 Rem are also great they just are designed for a different weight bullet.

Karl
Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

"Others such as the 243, 6mm, 300 savage, 280 Rem are also great they just are designed for a different weight bullet."

.243 & 6mm Remington in Remington Core-Lokt - I've had great success in 100 grain.
.300 Savage is 150 grain. .30/30 in Core-Lokt - stick with 150 grain. 170 grain is too slow for 'proper' penetration. But I'd go with Hornady LeveRevolution in 160 grain instead - better ballistics/performance.

Don't have a 280 Remington so I can't give you any suggestions there. Let us know what you're using and I'm sure that someone here has used it before.