Deer Hunting Forums banner

Remington model 742, .30-06

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
anybody shoot this type rifle? my dad has one that i used for years, until i found my own at auction. LOVE IT! has excellent punch and shoot straight. Hope to hand it down to my son some day!

#2 ·
I hunted with the 742 for many years until I went to the TC Encore with 30-06 barrel. I found that I never needed any more than 1 shot when deer hunting. Hence the single shot Encore. I also have the 209 X 50 muzzleloader barrel for the gun. But the 742 is a fine firearm as long as it is kept clean and oiled. It is very accurate for a semi-auto. I shot 150 gr. Remington Core-Lokt in 30-06 from mine and was good out to 150 yards, which was the longest shot I had ever taken a deer at. You will like the 742 just fine.

#3 ·
My dad has hunted with one since the 80's. Always reliable except he always left his ammo in the magazine so the spring got worn out, then it started jamming. So bought a new mag and it has worked fine since. A few years back he took a 140" or so 9 point at 280 yards with open sights, dropped it on the spot. Great rifle for sure.

#5 ·
My thoughts on the Rem 742

My dad has one in 30-06, a delux version made in the mid 60s. It is a very attractive rifle but the steel butt plate makes it unpleasent to shoot from the bench. A local large gunsmith operation Alman's in Morristown MN works on alot of these. They often wear out their locking lugs on the bolt.
The salesman at the store said the lockup is the same on the slide action model 760 but the 760's don't batter the action like the 742 does.

Karl

#8 ·
Another idea about the durability issue with 742s

I don't know this is accurate but I have to wonder if shooting heavy grain loads in the 742s, anything heavier than 150gr is the cause of the wear that is often seen. I know the M1 garand really doesn't like anything heavier than 150gr, it will shoot them but the rifle gets a pounding.

Karl

#10 ·
I guess I'm the only one who ever had trouble with a 742. After a few years of shooting, my rifle started to get the bolt locked in the open position between shots. Upon inspection, it looked like the rotating bolt lugs had worn grooves in the bolt track, so that when the bolt got to its rearmost position, the bolt lugs engaged the grooves and got stuck. I got rid of the rifle and have been back to bolt actions ever since. Don't get me wrong, I still like Remington products. It probably was just this particular one that had some sort of defect.

#11 ·
Have the 742's predecessor, Model 740 Woodsmaster, in 6mm Remington that was handed down from my grandfather. Using it last season it was a one-shot/one-kill using Core-Lokt 100 grain bullets. Great accuracy and the semi-auto makes it really pleasant to shoot. This one's definitely a keeper and will be handing it down someday to my sons or grandsons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.