new to deer hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Scrub Buck

Default new to deer hunting

hello everyone i am new to deer hunting and new to texas because i am active duty and just got stationed here. i was wondering if anyone has any advice for getting my first buck. any advice would be great. and as far as my expertise level i have none except for sitting in a tree stand in nc on public hunting land and seeing a bunch of squirrels and no deer. i have a lease in beulleville or however it is spelled i know it is on 287 towards dallas. the main question i have is do cover scents really work like the laundry soap and body wash and cover scents? but again like i said any kind of advice is greatly apreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Greetings big_willy welcome to the deer hunters club.
Also a big Thank You for your service to this great country we live in.
There's really no one secret to successful deer hunting so it's not as easy as saying do this this and this and you'll be all set.

Harvesting your first buck takes time but If you keep in mind what you need to do you can find sucess quickly.
you need to beat the Deers Eyes, his Ears and his nose, Wearing Camo and blending into your backdrop works on a deers eyes,
You also have to keep as quiet as possible (coughing, sneezing etc etc etc, silence is golden)deer have excellent hearing but
if you are keeping quiet you'll do well, and then there's that nose,
Personally I think anyone can beat a deers Eyes and ears but a deer's nose is key to their survival, therefore Scent Control is a must,
making sure you do your very best to descent your equipment as well as yourself.
If you do your best to achieve all 3, the eyes, ears and nose then your putting yourself in the zone for a successful buck harvest.
We have a lot of texas hunters here at the deer hunters club and I'm sure they will chime in to offer tips at the local levels.
Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask specific questions.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 09-15-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Before I say anything let me Thank You for your service and dedication to this wonderful country!!!! As far as hunting deer, being in an area that you know has deer is certainly good for starters. To keep things simple just be as scent free as possible. Good Luck to you.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM

Hello and welcome from Ohio. I too wish to convey my appreciation for your service to us all! I would try to locate another hunter from your area and get some good hands on help. Look back through our posts and you'll also find a wealth of info.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
B&C 160 Class

id talk to some locals see what kind of techniques these use down there,but for starters put in a couple of good observation sits on your lease so you can get an idea where you need to be.THANKS FOR KEEPING US FREE
Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
B&C 140 Class

Hmmmm . . . . . Wichita Falls, could be Air Force or could be Army. I've known folks from both branches getting assigned there. But anyways, thank you for your service.

I think you were trying to spell out "Bellevue" - a little wide spot in the road outside the metropolis of Bowie. I used to travel Hiway 287 a lot way back in my younger days and Bellevue used to have a really good restaurant in the truck stop. Can't say I've been there in well over 25 years now, but I know the area well. Have an aunt that was raised in that part of the state and still has family there.

Couple of questions - what kind of rifle are you hunting with since the area is wide open and I expect ranges from anywhere from 100 to 300 yards or more, depending on how the owner has set up the lease and have you visited the lease for any length of time? And I'd follow the already given advice on going out ahead of season (opens 1st Sat in Nov for rifle) and just sit for a spell to watch and observe. That would also answer your questions that you had/have about cover scents and how well they do/don't work for you. I'd take a good 35mm camera with a decent zoom lens and a tripod with you on your lease visits. If you can "shoot" a deer with a camera before season, then you should have no problems shooting one with a rifle once season opens.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Scrub Buck

thanks for appreciating what we do in the military. and all the info is great. i will be using a savage 270. and as far as cover scents i got the primos kit that comes with body wash laundry wash and cover spray. i just keep getting mixed reviews on scents. but the ones that say dont use it dont really say wat to do instead of it or to keep the deer from smelling you so i figure i will give this stuff a try. im sure it is more of an opinion kinda thing anyways.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM

There are a lot of different brands to choose from and I can't comment on all of them them because I haven't used them all but
of the ones I have tried I can say the Wildlife Research Products are the best I've ever tried.
Give your primos brand a try (because you already have them) and then be sure to try the Wildlife Research brand as well. I know You wont regret it.
Good Luck

Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

After you wash your clothes(which you need to do before each day you go out) put them in a plastic bag. It could be a simple as a trash bag, but ziploc makes a huge bag that is tough and resealable. Use a scent free deodorant and soap, if you don't have scent free soap use just plain water. Baking soda can be used for laundry and washing your body and is completely scent free. Also, always watch the wind!