possibly the easiest and best way to clean.... - Deer Hunting Forums
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class
 
extremehunter007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 110
possibly the easiest and best way to clean....

well, as we are getting closer here in WV to that favorite time of the season for us all, and no im not talking about the superbowl (though it ranks up there!) Hunting season is right around the corner, and my Bore-Snakes have come out of the cleaning box, and down the throat of my select 2 firearms for the season. The ol' .270 was still shinny! but a little oil and the .277 CAL boresnake made her shine. and the .30 cal for the .30-30. The Bore snake in my mind is the most simple way to make sure you get ALL residue and gunk out of the barrel! does anybody else use one? believe me, ive broken my fair share of cleaning rods. but this was the best investment i have ever made.....except for my RemOil....

Remington 710 .270
Smith And Wesson M&P40
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 12 Ga
CVA optima Mag .50 cal. Muzzleloader
1968 Browning recurve
extremehunter007 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremehunter007 View Post
well, as we are getting closer here in WV to that favorite time of the season for us all, and no im not talking about the superbowl (though it ranks up there!) Hunting season is right around the corner, and my Bore-Snakes have come out of the cleaning box, and down the throat of my select 2 firearms for the season. The ol' .270 was still shinny! but a little oil and the .277 CAL boresnake made her shine. and the .30 cal for the .30-30. The Bore snake in my mind is the most simple way to make sure you get ALL residue and gunk out of the barrel! does anybody else use one? believe me, ive broken my fair share of cleaning rods. but this was the best investment i have ever made.....except for my RemOil....
you're going to run solvent down to clean out any oil residue before shooting, right? i never oil a bore only solvent and dry patches. i will once in a while use the expanding foam bore scrubber then solvent and dry if its had a number of rounds put down it but mostly just solvent and dry. i agree bore snakes are pretty nice. especially for the 10/22 and the ar plateform.

Last edited by ronn; 09-07-2010 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Scrub Buck
 
Cobberz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 13
Otis Technology

I have been using their products for years now, and they are great. They are actually located 10 miles from where i live, my girlfriend, sister and many family friends work for this company. The best gun cleaning kit I have come across
Cobberz is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 8,378
I usually finish with just a tad bit of rem oil, with teflon, on a rag as my last pass. Is this a bad practice?? I haven't noticed any issues doing this that I'm aware of. Need info!
Hunting Man is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
B&C 140 Class
 
WisconsinDeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 820
I feel that the bore snakes are probably the easiest way to clean a bore. I have one in .22 cal (for .22's) and one in .30 cal. (my my .303, 7.62x54r, 30-06, and 30-30!) You don't risk screwing up the rifling or the crown with a cheap cleaning rod. With a more expensive one that isn't as much of a problem, but still always clean from chamber to muzzle... You should try some BreakFree CLP instead of RemOil....It's A LOT better in my opinion.
WisconsinDeer is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 PM
B&C 140 Class
 
WisconsinDeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I usually finish with just a tad bit of rem oil, with teflon, on a rag as my last pass. Is this a bad practice?? I haven't noticed any issues doing this that I'm aware of. Need info!
Its great to coat the bore with oil..just run a dry patch or something before shooting.
WisconsinDeer is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
just was always taught to never shoot a rifle with oil in the bore. i did store one that way once and after "cleaning" with a dry patch i couldn't get any kind of group. took it home cleaned it with solvent then dry, when back and was back to good. so i don't oil the bore. i do however clean my rifles a couple times a year even if they haven't been shot and clean after a shooting session.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
B&C 160 Class
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: new york
Posts: 1,115
Post

bore snakes r great but i just use them at the cabin,i would recommend a good dewey one piece rod.you dont have to worry about damaging the rifling little more exp. but worth it.for the bore hoppes#9,then i like break free @ krano oil.for my ars i actually lube with mobil 1 synthetic keeps em wet.
spiker is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 8,378
You mean to tell me I've been wasting it in my truck? I know I've never had any rust issue with rem oil. On the outside I use a wood floor wax (yup) on the barrel/metal surfaces and wood stocks. No rust issues and wood looks like new.
Hunting Man is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
You mean to tell me I've been wasting it in my truck? I know I've never had any rust issue with rem oil. On the outside I use a wood floor wax (yup) on the barrel/metal surfaces and wood stocks. No rust issues and wood looks like new.
wax probably doesn't stink like the oils. may count down on scent?
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome