possibly the easiest and best way to clean.... - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Repels moisture and is easy to use/apply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

I never put gun oil in the barrel unless its to be stored for any length of time, wich not many of my firearms are. If you swab even lightly with oil after cleaning and go hunting the first shot (which usualy will be your highest percentage shot will be off its mark ) will be different than when it was slightly fouled. I always sight in and then run a few dry patches and maybe a dry nylon brush through if I fired more than four or five shots sighting in. I have found that a lot of rifles fire a tighter group when slightly fouled. Just my experience.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr- View Post
I never put gun oil in the barrel unless its to be stored for any length of time, wich not many of my firearms are. If you swab even lightly with oil after cleaning and go hunting the first shot (which usualy will be your highest percentage shot will be off its mark ) will be different than when it was slightly fouled. I always sight in and then run a few dry patches and maybe a dry nylon brush through if I fired more than four or five shots sighting in. I have found that a lot of rifles fire a tighter group when slightly fouled. Just my experience.
yup a dirty barrel is more consisdent.....to a point. i allows carry a rifle that has had a fouling shot run down it.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM

The only time that I've ever done that is for ML rifles.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

Bore Snakes are great (I have several for both rifles and shotguns), but for deep cleaning you'll come up WAY short if that's all you use. I just don't believe you can get all the fouling out unless you use some sort of solvent and even a brush from time to time. I also like using the Otis system - it's expensive but very good as all the cleaning is done from the breech to the muzzle and uses a cable instead of a rod. This makes the whole system extremely portable (it fits in a pocket). Keep this in mind, there are aggressive solvents and non-aggressive ones. Hoppe's is a non-aggressive, and you can leave it in your barrel overnight if you want (I don't think that is necessary, though.) Barnes and Sweets are examples of aggressive cleaners, and you shoudn't leave them in for more than 10 minutes or so. (Ronn) If you use these, ALWAYS finish with a light oiling as per the instructions. Once, I cleaned my barrel the night before a hunt and, after running a few dry patches through it, I thought I'd skip the oil. The next day, after hunting, when I unloaded my rifle, the bullet that had been in the chamber came out blue - I guess the slightest bit of solvent that was still in there started reacting with the brass of the case! It would have been better to finish with the oil and then run dry patches through right then or just before hunting.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

I should have added that I always regularly clean all my guns the FULL method . But when its hunting season I always shoot a 1 to 2 shot fouled barrel. i too use the bore snakes nearly exclusively , and carry them in the field.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
ronn

after the bore scrubber i always clean it again with my normal clean method which includes hoppes and dry patches. i don't use the scrubber very often. may have used it a rifle 2or 3 or so times. i don't burn ammo up much.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default bore scrubber foam

this is a good product from break free.comes in a can with a tube simply shoot in down bore till it comes out other end.saves time dont have to get rod out to apply it.its good stuff