Death kick/roll? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
B&C 100 Class

Question Death kick/roll?

2 years ago after taking my last doe of the season, after i shot her, she started kicking like crazy when she hit the ground. i had never seen that before. got back up to the truck and a buddy explained to me that it was to try to kick leaves all over herself to hide herself. it was a short range kill, maybe 50 or so yards, so we could see it pretty clearly. has anybody else ran into this? i know its kinda off the rifle topic, but after being shot with a fairly potent round, i was just wondering if this was a 1 time thing, or if it happens alot.

Brandon
CVA optima Mag .50 cal. Muzzleloader
1968 Browning recurve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM
ronn

death kick?????? the legs are going because the central nevous system is telling the thing to run. thats why the legs are kicking. its dead but not all the parts know it yet.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM
B&C 140 Class

have seen hogs kick for quite awhile after a well placed neck shot
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

Sometimes they will kick for a few seconds before expiring. Heck I've seen a tom turkey run a long ways throught the woods after snapping his head off with a 12 guage.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 PM

happens! We probably don't see half of the death issues especially archery where they may run into dense area or far enough away where we don't see them expire. I try to sit for 20 minutes on a good hit before trailing them if I didn't see them go down. It's hard to sit still after a shot but I do my best. Like ronn said the brain is telling the legs to run/escape but the death process is already taking place and things just won't work right.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:44 PM
B&C 100 Class

i understand the nerves, but a guy i met a few months ago said it was a death kick, on top of the final nerve shot shall we call it. they try to bury their bodies...dont know why.
1968 Browning recurve
Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremehunter007 View Post
i understand the nerves, but a guy i met a few months ago said it was a death kick, on top of the final nerve shot shall we call it. they try to bury their bodies...dont know why.
tell the guy there's no such thing as a death kick and you want to see a biologist report validating such a thing. you'll never see one. if you make a bad shot a deer will lay down and try to hide but with a well placed shot the legs are going because of the central nervous system is still popping.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

this is the reason i only hunt with my 270 now. love my Mossberg, but when you have a doe running full force at you, ya gotta make a decision. that was my first year hunting since my recovery from some pretty severe injuries, and my adrenaline was too high. i made a bad shot, but it all ended pretty quick for her. i figured i would ask some of the more exp. hunters.

thanks,
Brandon
1968 Browning recurve
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM

In all due respect, when I read someone's post about shooting at a deer running at full speed towards him and he's got to make a decision, that's a guy I don't want in my deer camp, sorry. Way to many things can/do go wrong. To all the new and youth hunters please do not attempt shots like this as they are dangerous and do not give the animal the true respect it deserves. Wounding animals can/do take place, it's our responsibility to do our best to prevent it. I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops here but I really think safety comes into play in this senerio and a high percentage of wounding can take place. Whether you are a marksman or new to hunting this is a bad undertaking.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM

I've only seen deer do the running on the ground sideways or the "snowplow" thing where they run until their face is skidding along the ground and tumble. Not sure if I would say it was a death kick but I'll keep it in mind if I get one.