What rifle to use - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Scrub Buck

Default What rifle to use

So, we just moved in June to this property that has boucoup deer but we've never hunted before. I suck at marksmanship so I'm asking my 14 year old son to bag us a buck this fall. He has a much steadier hand (plus, I would rather he got the bragging rights). He has a J.C. Higgins bolt action 22 that we pling with and that my father and I plinged with in or about 1963. It will take 22 short, long, and LR: but not magnum.

I never thought that you would use this rifle to hunt white tails. But the first place I looked online to get advice, Remington.com, under the rimfire section, has a 22 rifle that includes the term "big game" under the description.

Can you really hunt white tail with a 22? If not, what ammo would you recommend for a novice hunter at close range? He would be in a tree stand within 50 yards of his quarry.

Thanks.

Mort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 11:01 PM
B&C 160 Class

i would absolutly not recomend a .22 for deer hunting, and in most states it is illegal. my recomendation given the short range of (50 yards) pluss the fact that you stated that he will be "in a tree stand" (thus he wont have to lug the gun through the woods, and that you mentioned he is only 14 would be...... find the heaviest 410 shotgun you can get your hands on. the waight will reduce "felt" recoil. the 410 (using slugs) is more than adiquit for droping a deer at 50 yards. and the 410 will give him the flexability to hunt small game with bird shot. just my opinion.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

A 20 gauge with a smooth bore slug barrel with be just perfect for your son and the 50 yard distance. If he cant handle the recoil of a 20 gauge he shouldn't be hunting.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Bondurant View Post
I never thought that you would use this rifle to hunt white tails. But the first place I looked online to get advice, Remington.com, under the rimfire section, has a 22 rifle that includes the term "big game" under the description.

Can you really hunt white tail with a 22? If not, what ammo would you recommend for a novice hunter at close range? He would be in a tree stand within 50 yards of his quarry
Thanks.

Mort
Greetings Mort welcome to the club.

You'll have to go back to look at the remington site again I believe you must have made a mistake.
I just looked at the remington site myself and under "Remington Rimfire Rifles" I didn't see anything that mentions "big game" under any of their rimfire rifles.

I don't think anyone should hunt deer with a .22 caliber., the .22 is too small I would suggest buying your son a new rifle to hunt with preferably a .243 caliber or larger.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

Buy this rifle in .243 for your son. The recoil is minimal and the power is plenty for a deer.

Cabela's -- Stevens® Blued/Camo Rifle Combos
Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 PM
ronn

yea you really got to check into the laws in your state. hunting isn't just killing a deer. there is hunters safety that must be taken ans passed in most cases. then there are licenses and tags depending on the rules in you state. some states its illegal to deer hunt with a 410 shot gun, some states buckshot is illegal, lots of rules to promote ethical taking of game and for safety. keep in mind that in most states the critters belong to the public only the land is yours.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

i would get him a .243 that will do a nice job i have a ten year old son and that is what he uses he got he's first deer last season with it good luck
Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 PM

I would look into a muzzleloading rifle as he most likely can increase his hunting time during 2 separate seasons. The new models can be bought fairly cheap and are pretty easy to load/shoot/clean. Most middle age kids can handle 2 50 gr pellets as far as felt recoil.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I would look into a muzzleloading rifle as he most likely can increase his hunting time during 2 separate seasons. The new models can be bought fairly cheap and are pretty easy to load/shoot/clean. Most middle age kids can handle 2 50 gr pellets as far as felt recoil.
Since he is a kid a muzzle loader might be a bit much. I would say just a bolt action rifle as they are easy to use and you don't have to clean them all the time. He may lose interest in a muzzle loader. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 AM
B&C 100 Class

Hit a few local pawn shops. You can usualy find a decent bolt gun. I would go for a 30-06 for the simple fact you can find ammo about anywhere for it. And you have the range from 90gn to 200 gn. Good for coyote to elk and everything in between. Or an old mosin nagant. Sorry I know I spelt it wrong. But will humanely harvest a buck and cheaply do it.