tell me what you think - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default tell me what you think

Here in the Black hills of South Dakota our big game tags are determined by a draw. The Game Fish and Parks(GFP) department for the state are in my opinion, managing the Black Hills deer herds with 1950's mentality. Due to a taxidermist and some lazy hunters sending in a petition to the GFP stating that mountain lions are decimating the deer and elk herds, the number of deer and elk tags have been decreased for the 2nd year in a row, and the mountain lion tags have been increased. I know they are lazy hunters because thay drive around along the forestry roads and look for something to shoot instead of getting into the woods and sitting. Then they complain that they haven't seen any deer. I have written to the papers and the state myself and I have heard of a few other "true sportsman" hunters writing to them too. I stated that "If those so-called "hunters would get out of their vehicles and get into the woods, then they would see the game. I sit in the woods and have seen many deer and elk(including a 6x7 bull elk that was 30 yards away from me and stood there 5 minutes), but what I don't see in the woods are other hunters". In the 6 years we have been hunting this area, we have had many hunters drive their trucks in front of where we are sitting but have only seen 1 other hunter out of his vehicle. GFP doesn't seem to care that shooting a deer from a vehicle or on a forestry road is as stated in the rules-ILLEGAL. All I can do is preserve my integrity as a true sportman. I would like some other hunters to tell me what they think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 AM
ronn

Talking I stand behind my mo

I stand behind my mosin naagnt and its moderate-power 7.62x54r caliber.its just right for a variety of north american game, and if you're allowed to use standard ball ammunition (rather than hunting ammo) you'll be able to take down large, thick-skinned game too. it certainly has more than enough penetration, some 18 inches of flesh penetration to take down just about any large game. but maybe not an elephant though, that's a bit of a stretch. with chamber adapters I can shoot lesser cartridges such as .32 pistol and 30 carbine for smaller game.an adapter for .327 Federal Magnum, which will also accommodate lesser rounds such as: .32 H R Magnum, .32 S W Long, .32 S W, .32 ACP. an adapter for .30 Carbine gives me just the right amount of power for game such as a coyote.

Last edited by Radostaw; 04-18-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: HsrYlBiS
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 AM

First If I'm seeing road hunters then I'm not far enough back in! Second, with-in the laws I'd start shooting some big cats. Third, I hunt mostly PA and they are very slow to change course when an adopted managing plan has gone bad. I too would continue to put pressure on those who control the wildlife quotos and set the tags limits. The bad news is with our current administration in Washington, things will only get worse. It is a good thing you are involved, maybe a little more noise in the right areas will start the changes.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 AM

I'm not familiar with the South Dakota harvest statistics but most states do a fairly good job establishing/setting harvest limits based on harvest data.
Sometimes it seems like the states are working against the hunters but in the long run the states usually create better or at least improved hunting conditions but that isn't always the case and when too many hunters find fault then it becomes necessary to approach the State officials with their concerns.

As far as the activities from the Illegal road hunters I think it's safe to say "it's a problem in every state not just a certain few", The best we can do is maintain good hunting ethics, follow the hunting/fishing laws of the land and hope justice is served on those who fail to comply.

Good Luck & Happy safe hunting always!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Scrub Buck

SDWolfDen - as a fellow South Dakota Hunter, it is unfortunate that your encounters with other hunters in the state have been so poor. Please understand that there ARE dedicated hunters out there - not just haphazard killers. Some of us do enjoy the challenge of hearing the deer walking toward us and engaging it on its turf...not just shooting it through the exhaust of our pickups. Hang in there....the more you get out and talk hunting with folks the more actual true hunters you will find.
As far BruceBruce's comment on harvest data - check out this site we found...they have the latest harvest reports online.
South Dakota Hunting Reports | Statistics Information and Harvest Reports

Perhaps also check out their Big Buck contest - we've attended for years, and know that many of the Northern Hills most dedicated hunters attend.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

The problem with SDGFP is that they send out surveys to some but not all hunters to get stats for their harvest reports. If they don't get stats from all hunters, the true results will never be known. They sated in the Rapid City Journal that the mountain lions took as many deer as the hunters did last year. How can they know this? They decreased the deer tags again and increased the mountain lion tags and also increased the total kill for mountain lions above what was recommended. I personally think and a lot of other hunters agree with me that if you have a large prey population, then you will attract more predators. So If you decrease the prey population, the Numbers of predators will decrease also. But South Dakota has a history of eradicating animals so that more human habitat can be settled.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:39 PM
ronn

Cool There are a series o

There are a series of Smoke Shacks in VB. The one at 1417 Lynnhaven Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23453 has the wteenrgrein in stock in a tin. Use Google to search tobacco shops and add the city name. You'll come up with a dozen between Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Call the store and check for stock. But there's one (I answered this as a hunter's courtesy.)

Last edited by Olga; 04-20-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: e14vVNd4
Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
i disagree with your rationalization.

if the predator numbers are up and you kill off their natural prey they don't just starve to death or relocate. they start finding and eating other prey. sheep, house dogs, house cats, calves, colts. i imagine some starve but thats not a pleasant thought, rather have them shot.

the state knows how many tags were sold and the number of deer checked in plus they do in the field counts and track all the info. they use the weather history for estimates on winter kill. all sorts of things car vs deer reports to get a feel for what is happening out there.

i don't think you are giving the biologist, those that choose to make wildlife management their lifes work, the credit they probably deserve.
Here in South Dakota, deer are not checked in when they are shot. I know they do it in other states like Wisconsin, where you have to go to a station and check them in and they check to see if the right tag as used. When you shoot a deer here, you apply your tag and take it home and butcher the deer. There is no check in and no way for the GFP to know how many deer are harvested. Believe me, I would prefer to have a check in system so that accurate counts are taken. Also, just because the tags are sold does not mean that they will be filled. I have gone previous years when there were leftover tags and had 3 or 4 tags and not filled all of them.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
First If I'm seeing road hunters then I'm not far enough back in! Second, with-in the laws I'd start shooting some big cats. Third, I hunt mostly PA and they are very slow to change course when an adopted managing plan has gone bad. I too would continue to put pressure on those who control the wildlife quotos and set the tags limits. The bad news is with our current administration in Washington, things will only get worse. It is a good thing you are involved, maybe a little more noise in the right areas will start the changes.
There are laws here that you can only use motor vehicles on marked and numbered roads. Where I am seeing them is on unmarked roads and trails. Reporting them and poachers does no good here because the authorities do nothing. I have called and reported many times and they treat me like I'm in the wrong for reporting violations.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
ronn

Arrow hey if you have

hey if you have good intentions and are a good pesorn potentially and you want to accomplish great things then you should be awarded a noble prize based on the fact that society wants to encourage you etc.That's pretty much exactly what Alfred Nobel , isn't it?The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way:The capital shall be invested by my executors in safe securities and shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the pesorn who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the pesorn who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the pesorn who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the pesorn who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work of an idealistic tendency; and one part to the pesorn who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity among nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. Rate this comment: 0 0

Last edited by Marcelo; 04-20-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: BKjUBA52