6.8mm rem spc. - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 07-18-2010, 06:25 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Rra lar8

Rra lar8 with this rifle you could hunt deer or do range work or whatever you want.We all no the qualities of the 308 cartridge.Also can somebody explain the difference between a browning bar,remington semi auto,and an ar set up to hunt in the proper caliber.I will not let the antis get us fighting amongst ourselves.I hunt my own property with a rock river lar 8 (5 rnd mag) and if anyone sees me guess what there trespassing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM
ronn

huntnh, yup plenty of whack. if one wants to hunt with an battle field rifle its fine more power to ya. i still believe there are better options. military snipers don't use an ar platform, they use a bolt mostly, and thats what a hunter is, a sniper. you asked about bulk ammo and its typically not that good of stuff. the animal deserves a one shot kill so better ammo increases the likelihood of that. through my bushmaster the bulk stuff was about a 4" group at 100 but hornady was 1" at 100
the bar was a military rifle. its a well know and proven fact that semi autos are inherently less accurate platforms than the bolts or the single shots. thats why snipers don't use them. thats all i'm saying. use what makes you happy and is legal, but have all the facts when making a purchase.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Rra lar8

I was referring to the browning bar semiautomatic hunting rifle as well as rifles offered by remington,benelli etc.As far as accuracy my lar8 is moa and comes with a 1 inch guarantee.This rifles are now being designed with hunters in mind i.e. remington, dpms, and rra.My lar8 predator is a simple flatop designed for hunting not the battlefield.A 150 or 165 gr federal fusion is deadly medicine for deer. These rifles are on par with most bolt actions,mine shoots right up there with my kimber.I just feel the reactions to these guns are media generated responses.Besides cosmetics there is no difference between this gun with 5rnds or a benelli r1.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
ronn

Thumbs down No surprise here. It

No surprise here. It's been 30 years since I shot a besncreht rifle match (seems NBRSA is still in existence, so others are carrying the torch), but IIRC the rules allow a single "sighting shot" to foul a clean(ed) barrel. I'm of the opinion that a fouling shot, or two, is the best way to prepare a barrel for the remainder of the string, but I've seen good results with swabbing a barrel with an evaporative solvent patch (alcohol, acetone, etc.) followed by a clean dry patch or three.

Last edited by Safwan; 04-20-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: TjoUpPY9cV
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
B&C 160 Class

I agree with you ronn my original intention was trying to show him the 308 might be a better option for him than the 6.8 and that it could more than handle what he describe he wanted to do with it.I do agree day in and day out there is nothing going to beat a bolt action,and i love hunting with my savage or kimber.I do have complete faith in my lar 8 also.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
I agree with you ronn my original intention was trying to show him the 308 might be a better option for him than the 6.8 and that it could more than handle what he describe he wanted to do with it.I do agree day in and day out there is nothing going to beat a bolt action,and i love hunting with my savage or kimber.I do have complete faith in my lar 8 also.
thats what counts.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM
B&C 100 Class

I hunt with a .270 WIN. i have shot a few of the 6.8SPC, and love it. its a great flat shooting, and fairly powerful round. and being .277 cal, you can load your favorite .270 bullet, or what i do, get some cheap 6.8mm bullets and reload em for the .270. great round. in between a 5.56 and a .308 (7.62x51) a buddy of mine reached out and touched a groundhog at 734 yards with the 6.8. great round.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Talking i love texas hold 'e

i love texas hold 'em. can't play for beans, but i have a good time on the free online tnntoameurs where i watch people with far too much testosterone or far too little sense bet like fools. my favorite poker guy is phil negreanu, though. he's funny as hell. just have to keep the husband from calling him "my boyfriend." though i always have a soft spot for the bookish-looking weanies, i suppose ;-)

Last edited by Iara; 04-20-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: jopsOBJ0
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

6.8 ammo is not a commonly available ammo in most stores and a bit pricey