6.8mm rem spc. - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 07-18-2010, 06:25 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Rra lar8

Rra lar8 with this rifle you could hunt deer or do range work or whatever you want.We all no the qualities of the 308 cartridge.Also can somebody explain the difference between a browning bar,remington semi auto,and an ar set up to hunt in the proper caliber.I will not let the antis get us fighting amongst ourselves.I hunt my own property with a rock river lar 8 (5 rnd mag) and if anyone sees me guess what there trespassing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 AM
ronn

huntnh, yup plenty of whack. if one wants to hunt with an battle field rifle its fine more power to ya. i still believe there are better options. military snipers don't use an ar platform, they use a bolt mostly, and thats what a hunter is, a sniper. you asked about bulk ammo and its typically not that good of stuff. the animal deserves a one shot kill so better ammo increases the likelihood of that. through my bushmaster the bulk stuff was about a 4" group at 100 but hornady was 1" at 100
the bar was a military rifle. its a well know and proven fact that semi autos are inherently less accurate platforms than the bolts or the single shots. thats why snipers don't use them. thats all i'm saying. use what makes you happy and is legal, but have all the facts when making a purchase.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Rra lar8

I was referring to the browning bar semiautomatic hunting rifle as well as rifles offered by remington,benelli etc.As far as accuracy my lar8 is moa and comes with a 1 inch guarantee.This rifles are now being designed with hunters in mind i.e. remington, dpms, and rra.My lar8 predator is a simple flatop designed for hunting not the battlefield.A 150 or 165 gr federal fusion is deadly medicine for deer. These rifles are on par with most bolt actions,mine shoots right up there with my kimber.I just feel the reactions to these guns are media generated responses.Besides cosmetics there is no difference between this gun with 5rnds or a benelli r1.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
I was referring to the browning bar semiautomatic hunting rifle as well as rifles offered by remington,benelli etc.As far as accuracy my lar8 is moa and comes with a 1 inch guarantee.This rifles are now being designed with hunters in mind i.e. remington, dpms, and rra.My lar8 predator is a simple flatop designed for hunting not the battlefield.A 150 or 165 gr federal fusion is deadly medicine for deer. These rifles are on par with most bolt actions,mine shoots right up there with my kimber.I just feel the reactions to these guns are media generated responses.Besides cosmetics there is no difference between this gun with 5rnds or a benelli r1.
you are right these days its the looks. there is really no difference from todays semi hunting rifles, which are also inherently less accurate actions than a bolt. fact not opinion. if they were as accurate why wouldn't the super powers around the world, swat teams, bench shooters, being using semis for sniper rifles and one hole shooting????? what they claim in adds and what reality is are two different things. the reason that semi are inherently less accurate is in the change in chamber pressures, do to the way the action works. each time it cycles the chamber is a little different than it was with the prior shot. no way around it, its a fact. this changes the pressure which it turn changes the point of impact. the bar (browning automatic rifle) was first a military battle field rifle design.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
B&C 160 Class

I agree with you ronn my original intention was trying to show him the 308 might be a better option for him than the 6.8 and that it could more than handle what he describe he wanted to do with it.I do agree day in and day out there is nothing going to beat a bolt action,and i love hunting with my savage or kimber.I do have complete faith in my lar 8 also.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
I agree with you ronn my original intention was trying to show him the 308 might be a better option for him than the 6.8 and that it could more than handle what he describe he wanted to do with it.I do agree day in and day out there is nothing going to beat a bolt action,and i love hunting with my savage or kimber.I do have complete faith in my lar 8 also.
thats what counts.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM
B&C 120 Class

I hunt with a .270 WIN. i have shot a few of the 6.8SPC, and love it. its a great flat shooting, and fairly powerful round. and being .277 cal, you can load your favorite .270 bullet, or what i do, get some cheap 6.8mm bullets and reload em for the .270. great round. in between a 5.56 and a .308 (7.62x51) a buddy of mine reached out and touched a groundhog at 734 yards with the 6.8. great round.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Default Response to Ronn and 6.8 SPC doubters

"huntnh, yup plenty of whack. if one wants to hunt with an battle field rifle its fine more power to ya. i still believe there are better options. military snipers don't use an ar platform, they use a bolt mostly, and thats what a hunter is, a sniper. you asked about bulk ammo and its typically not that good of stuff. the animal deserves a one shot kill so better ammo increases the likelihood of that. through my bushmaster the bulk stuff was about a 4" group at 100 but hornady was 1" at 100
the bar was a military rifle. its a well know and proven fact that semi autos are inherently less accurate platforms than the bolts or the single shots. thats why snipers don't use them. thats all i'm saying. use what makes you happy and is legal, but have all the facts when making a purchase."

I really hate when people try and reference the military and have no clue what they are talking about.

First, what platform do you think "most" snipers use in the military? They come down to 3. The first being a Remington 700 variant in .308/7.62x51 (M40/M24). The second being a variant of the .308/7.62x51 Springfield Armory M-14/M-1A (M21/M25). And the third being some variation of a "black rifle" or AR-10/M-16 (most notably the recently awarded .308/7.62x51 M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System).

The military has been the leader in creating military specific ammunition which is then brought into the civilian market due to the dependability and accuracy of such ammunition. 30-06, .308/7.62x51 and the .223/5.56x45 all come to mind. Which round have made it big on the hunting stage? All of them. While the .223/5.56x45 is relegated to varmit hunting the other two are hugely popular deer hunting rounds. They were made to kill a human (and last I checked deer were roughly human sized, thin skined and roughly the same weights or less).

The 6.8 SPC was meant to bridge the gap between the small .223/5.56x45 round (which can equally kill a human) and the .308/7.62x51 round. It was meant to operate out of an almost standard issue M4/M16, have moderate recoil but have a significant increase in knock down power and penetration compared to the "baby" round.

Based on this, it shouldnt matter if the 6.8 SPC is made for an "assualt" rifle (the .308/7.62x51 was created for an AR-10), each round designed by the military or for the military is designed to kill.

Granted you will not be shooting at elk, bear or some African big game animal with it, but for deer/hog or whatever, it is more than capable up to 200m/yd.

Again, sniper rifles may "mostly" be bolt action rifles, but by no way do they make up the complete inventory. You will see more "accurized" semi-auto rifles in the hands of the infantry than you will see one carrying a bolt action sniper rifle. I use the term "accurized" because the military is pushing for Designated Marksman or DM program. While soldiers do not actually earn the "Sniper" tab, they go through most of Sniper School. In this program soldiers carry for the "most part" accuraized variants of the M14 or M4 semi-automatic "black/assault" rifles.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

6.8 ammo is not a commonly available ammo in most stores and a bit pricey