6.8mm rem spc. - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Scrub Buck

you can get a lot of info on the 6.8 here.
Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM
ronn

sounds like we're starting down that, ar as a hunting rifle, path again. i still say the ar's were made for rounds down range not tack driving.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 PM

I agree with you ronn. ARs are great weapons but hunters should realize that rifles designed for hunting are far better suited for hunting conditions.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
B&C 160 Class

i have no intention of hunting with an AR. i was just hoping to find a round that is used by bolth the AR and the ruger 77, that i could buy in bulk.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM
ronn

oh. the problem with bulk ammo is well, the same issue. its made to rattle off on the range or to make the bad guys duck. more offten than not its not even legal to hunt with being fully jacketed ammo. stick with something designed to do the job you want it to.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
B&C 160 Class

thats what i will be doing. sticking with .270 to hunt with, and getting an AR for sending lots of rounds down range and making the bad guys duck, if need be of corce.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think some of us need to get up to date on AR. The AR's are as accurate as bolt actions these days and most companies that manufacture them make specific models for hunting with. The first question i have for everyone who questions "military" weapons for hunting is "Where did the .30-06 come from?" I'm pretty sure it was first a military round and rifle. yes they are more expensive. Hunt Nh, if you will never shoot over 200 yds the 6.8 seems ideal for what you want, but you can get ARs in all the wssm, 6.5 grendel, .300 fireball, .50 beowolf and .450 bushmaster. Step up to the AR 10, which is a slightly larger version of the AR 15, and you can get .243, 308, .260 and all the wsm
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy11 View Post
I think some of us need to get up to date on AR. The AR's are as accurate as bolt actions these days and most companies that manufacture them make specific models for hunting with. The first question i have for everyone who questions "military" weapons for hunting is "Where did the .30-06 come from?" I'm pretty sure it was first a military round and rifle. yes they are more expensive. Hunt Nh, if you will never shoot over 200 yds the 6.8 seems ideal for what you want, but you can get ARs in all the wssm, 6.5 grendel, .300 fireball, .50 beowolf and .450 bushmaster. Step up to the AR 10, which is a slightly larger version of the AR 15, and you can get .243, 308, .260 and all the wsm
no update needed. i own 2 ar platforms, a bushmaster carbon and a dpms 308lr, and sadly sold another, a bushmaster a4. yup much improved over years ago. the point was what was the platform designed for???????rounds down range. a change of mentality from the 03-a3 days. besides snipers/(hunters) today are using what platform predominantly? hunt nh was also talking about bulk ammo to do both hunt and rattle battle, which is again use what was designed for that usage and there are less problems. you can haul lumber in a station wagon but wouldn't a pickup be a better choice type thing.
i think hunting man posted a long list of calibers a while ago. i was really surprised at the choices

I always wanted an ar10 but after talking to several folks that had one i was talked out of it. to the person they said it wasn't what it was suppose to be. the springfield, m14 style or the socom, were a better rifles

Last edited by ronn; 06-21-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

My "antique" Mosin-Nagant comes in one of the most widely used calibers for hunting - 7.62x54R. It's also widely sold from many suppliers in bulk -- none of which can be used for hunting here in Texas. I have to have a round that is not "full metal jacket", but it's something I can still purchase from one of the local gunshops here in town.

Saiga came recommended to me from one of the local gunshops as a replacement for my 'varmint' rifle - M1 Carbine. Since the M1 is 66 years old this year, it's been recommended to be made a 'cabinet queen' -- something to take out twice a year, clean, oil, put back on the shelf to be admired. Saiga makes an AK-47 replica in both .223 and .308 that would satisfies the AR requirement - should anyone want something with bulk ammo availability.

Me? I'm more of a "one shot - one deer in the freezer" mentality -- even if I don't quite succeed in that all the time. Last year it was four shots and three deer in the freezer. I got buck fever when he stepped out of the treeline. But that's what forums like this are all about, right? Ain't it great when we have the right to voice our opinions like this?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:59 PM
B&C 160 Class

this topic has kinda gone off topic. i have zero intent on hunting with an AR. i was simpaly asking about if a round that would be good for bolth hunting (with a good hunting rifle) and could be used in an AR platform.