What's YOUR favorite and why? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

ihave a few different rifles to choose from, but the one i reach for the most is my M77 ruger .270 . just really like this rifle. shorter than my Win M70. but much heavier. easier to deal with in a tree stand and alot less recoil because of the weight. my second would be my Marlin 30-30.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM

ronn between you and I we could outfit a whole army Now if I would have kept all that I have sold over the years......I collect guns like some collect stamps. I don't shoot them all, heck a couple have never been shot, but I like to have them in the vault anyways. Its like an insurance policy, its there when you need it; or just want something different to hunt with or shoot. In life sometimes its ok to enjoy variety.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:28 PM
ronn

i'm not a collector. i'm an accumulator.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a model #99 30-30 lever action with iron sights that I love to shoot. Light weight, short and very accurate!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
In life sometimes its ok to enjoy variety.
That's what Tiger Woods used to say!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Karl's favorites

Ruger Number 1 International in 30-06 w/Leup 1.5-5 VXIII, So beautiful that it should be illegal.

Sako AV Finnbear 18.5" with factory FG stock in 30-06 w/Nikon 1.5-4.5 African series. Hey it's a Sako, and it shoots into 1 hole groups all day at 50 yards. I know the rifle would also do it at 100 yards if I was a better shot.

Winchester M70 Fwt Lam. stock in 30-06 w/Zeiss 4x. Not as pretty as the Number 1, not as precisely put together as the Sako, but I have killed Elk and Deer with this one so it is a very special friend.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntr- View Post
hey another south paw !! only left hand people are in their right mind !!
The only thing I do left handed is fire a rifle (mainly due to the fact that I'm left eye dominant). Grade school started back in the McCarthy era and if you was left handed . . . . . . . . well, lets just leave that one alone. Got smacked more times with a ruler than I can count when trying to learn to write left-handed. Gave up and "conformed" to the rest of the class.

Wasn't until leaning how to hunt with my grand pappy that I realized I should have done just about everything left handed. Too late to change all that, but I'm still a decent shot . . . for a lefty. (Hey, at least I can still hit the broad side of a barn!)

My mom's an all round lefty and I still sometimes get her all wound up by saying stuff about lefties, completely kidding of course. At 76 years old, 5 ft 2 and maybe 100 lbs dripping wet she can still wag that finger at me, but hey . . . she's still my mom.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Scrub Buck

My favorite gun to carry in the woods is a Benelli R1 30-06 semi-auto carbine with a Leupold VX II 1-4. It is what I carry in Northern Maine, in the dense woods. Light, short and soft shooting gun that is also quite enjoyable to look at. Beautiful wood and nice lines.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

Remington 700BDL Varmint Special in .223.
Its a little on the heavy side with the bbl but its extremely accurate and cheap to shoot a LOT. less than 5.00 a box.

no, there is no deer rifle season in Illinois, but I would in a heartbeat.
It would be great for coyote too.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

My hands down favorite has got to be the Weatherby Sporter .257 magnum for a few reasons. It has never let me down, it has always gotten the job done when it comes to a clean harvest. It is fast, flat, accurate, has minimal recoil for a magnum cartridge. By far the most accurate rifle I own. Being the sporter model it has a 24'' barrel so it is handy in the blind, lightweight enough to not be a hindrance while spotting and stalking. The high comb gives me a very comfortable cheek weld. The ammo is pricey for some but worth it in my opinion......I could go on and on but I digress and will conclude with, all I have stated above is of course IMHO.