20 cal for deer - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 PM
B&C 100 Class

I guess that my quest for accuracy is higher than most and that is what sets me apart from most average riflemen. I would gladly take your money anytime , on any marksmanship contest. You have no idea my friend .Thanks for the forum it makes me smile . Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 PM
ronn

Thumbs down Where is everyone gt

Where is everyone gttnieg .311, because 7.62 mm´╗┐ is .30 caliber. The casings may be a little different, but the bullets are the same size. A 30-06 uses a 7.62 bullet as well as all the other .30 caliber bullet. The casings are different, but the outer diameter of the bullets are the same. If you don't believe me look it up and you will see that 7.62 mm is .30 caliber.

Last edited by Emmanuel; 04-19-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: HkYc4Z5T
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

I like the conversation here thats what makes it interesting . You know you never know who you are talking to or their experience. Were you in the corps. ? Theres alot more out there than just camp perry, expand your marksmanship.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
ronn

naw i figured i'd end up spending a hitch in any branch in the brig, guardhouse, whatever its called, can't take orders without a why. just got a lot of friends that served. actually i've made some pretty good friends through hunting forums.

I shot the m1 garand and the m14 at camp perry for the state years ago. some think i'm fibbing when i tell them i shot 1000 yards open sights.

I hear what you are saying about being able to cut one hole, and striving to always do better is the way to be. way to many can't or won't put the effort/work needed to reach higher levels, which is true in about everything, and for sure most don't start out with those abilities. therefore work inside your capabilities and the capabilities of your firearm. so for 99% of people, including me, an attempt of a 200 yard head shot with a 22 cal centerfire would be unethical and a disservice to the deer.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight point View Post
I think thats a narrow minded statement. A good clean , ethical shot is what you are good at and practice. If I can hit a 1/2'' group Consistantly at 2oo yards than that to me is an ethical shot. I aim between the ear and the eye.If we teach our kids to shoot with profficeincy and accuracy Then I believe that this is an ETHICAL SHOT ! If others teach there kids to shoot at the larger lung/heart shot then thats great too, but don't knock what I consider to be ethical. Thats what makes this country great and forums like this a place to communicate and discuss our thoughts.
Then don't knock what we see is an UNETHICAL SHOT with a poor caliber choice. I have first hand experience trying a head shot on a hog with a .270, and that was enough for me to know that it was a poor choice. I am not trying to come off as a jerk, I am by no means a exceptional marksman. I know my situation was totally different then the ones you face, but a head shot for me was a last resort, and that was because the hog was charging me. It blew off a large chunk of his head, but it was still alive. I could see its brain. I have seen people shoot with a .223 at 200+ yards and get 3/4 to 1 inch groups, so I know it is possible,and don't doubt your accuracy. I seen a deer dropped with one shot from a .223, but there are so many better choices to choose from. The more variables you can subtract, the more positive the outcome.

Last edited by Tricky; 12-15-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Scrub Buck

As for accuracy i have no doubt eight point shoots as he claims and i agree with his views.

I was never assertaining that ANYONE should shoot ILLEGAL calibres for hunting game or use 22 cal or smaller for deer hunting.

It is legal in some states to shoot with a 22 cal or any centerfire for that matter. People use with great success the 22 hornet in a single shot platform to not only kill deer but also hog. Head and neck shots ARE ethical. In Australia the 222 and 223 are the primary calibre for culling BIG RED kangaroos, again primarily head shots. Also for the people who doubt accuracy note that a 223 hunting rig is typicaly lighter and has very little recoil compared to the larger bore hunting rigs, after all you can use a mini action and have bolt gun accuracy.

Having said that i do not recommend that inexperienced or uncapable marksmen use ANY calibre to hunt. If the 22 hornet guy does what he does and does it well good for him.... if the 300 WSM guy does what he does and does it well, good for him.

Last edited by Magnus; 12-16-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Scrub Buck

eight point, i know that there are some "specially made" bullets in .22 cal for larger game. But in your travells have you seen or realiably heard of of people using 40gr vmax or similar on deer?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

For you guys who are wondering about those of us who say a 22 and head shots at deer are unethical, here's something we must keep in mind: one of the goals of this forum is to pass on solid information to newcomers to deer hunting. We want to give them advice that will BEST assure their success.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think OneHorse just summed it up perfectly.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
here's something we must keep in mind: one of the goals of this forum is to pass on solid information to newcomers to deer hunting. We want to give them advice that will BEST assure their success.

Best quote of the year!!!!!!!