20 cal for deer - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Bag View Post
We all have our biases. The .22 has as much killing power as an arrow I would say generally. It is illegal in Arkansas so I have never used it. I know an old oil feild pumper that killed many deer, snake, etc with his .22 auto but I wouldn't recommend it.
bullets and arrows kill differently. bullets with energy and massive cellular destruction (literaly the cells explode like shooting a milk jug of water), thats why 22 is too small, and arrows kill by hemorrhaging, cutting and bleeding to death.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Magnus asking the information you have from ethical deer hunters is basically an insult and thus I would take the information given from the members and move on to your next site as you have stated in one of your posts. Only a poacher uses small illegal calibers for killing. HM
Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

I totally dissagree ! I know of many deer shot with a 22-250 and it is a very accurate cartridge. All were head shots that dropped the deer instantly at 100- 200 yards with no suffering by the deer. I've had many deer run a short distance and fall over using a 30 cal . A 22 cal does have the energy and bullet coefficient to do the job. I will say that its not for everyone and its not a lung shot type of a cartridge. So for those who think bigger is better I say try it you will be surprised. A rimfire on the other hand is not suitable.If your F&G did not think it would do it they would not allow it to begin with.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
ronn

Arrow Your best bet would

Your best bet would be to get a stainless baerrl. If not, whether the baerrl is chromed or not will not make a bit of difference. There is far too much hubub and marketing around chrome lined bores. If the rifle you want has a chrome bore great, but don't make that the reason you pick that rifle over another.Edit: all the downward thumbs is a prime example of how this issue is wrought with more passion than logic. There have been numerous tests done to show that non-chrome bores last just as long as chrome bores. As for baerrl life it's a moot point. Sure chrome won't rust, so if you're the type that doesn't like to clean your rifle after a day at the range, then get chrome. But if you are interested in accuracy look at baerrl quality. A well-finished chrome-bore rifle will shoot better than a roughly finished steel bore AND a well-finished steel bore will out shoot a poorly finished chrome bore rifle. The whole chrome lined sales pitch to any civilian is nothing short of a gimmick. Anyone that believes otherwise has been duped.I have several AR platforms with several rifles with stainless baerrls, non-chromed baerrls, chromed baerrls, cold hammer forged baerrls, etc. I could put anyone, with any level of experience, on any of those rifles and they wouldn't have the slightest clue as the to baerrl type they were using.Looked it up I'm cancer moon, pisces sun, virgo rising .

Last edited by Juan; 04-19-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: rBmqKUyt
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

Meaning what ? I have taken over 40 deer and some with ETHICAL head shots . I am a VERY experienced marksman and would not hesitate taking a head shot with a good solid rest.I have not or ever will I ever condone poaching and for anyone to suggest that only poachers use 22 cals. is obsurd and retarded. If its LEGAL than don't knock it !!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
ronn

Arrow Thats some good fun

Thats some good fundamentals there, aleardy knew some of that, but you can always learn . I doubt a “kid” could put together such information as dolphin278 suggested. Maybe he’s just attempting to be “controversial? lol

Last edited by Gjgolem; 04-20-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: VDHywELU
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think thats a narrow minded statement. A good clean , ethical shot is what you are good at and practice. If I can hit a 1/2'' group Consistantly at 2oo yards than that to me is an ethical shot. I aim between the ear and the eye.If we teach our kids to shoot with profficeincy and accuracy Then I believe that this is an ETHICAL SHOT ! If others teach there kids to shoot at the larger lung/heart shot then thats great too, but don't knock what I consider to be ethical. Thats what makes this country great and forums like this a place to communicate and discuss our thoughts.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
ronn

Red face Glad to hear from yo

Glad to hear from you Chad!This is a new site, but we are starting to get a rellay good response to it. Anything particular your looking for advice on?Ive been out getting ready for the season also, Trail cams are up and deer stands mended!Looking forward to a great season!!Schwarzie

Last edited by Munnavai; 04-18-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: AxW0NUj8JF
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

To answer your question: A 22 CAN kill a deer and even larger game. When I hunted caribou in northern Quebec, I discovered that the Inuits used 22 magnums to kill caribou, but they did it by canoing right up to them while they were swimming and shooting them in the ear. Most of the guys on this site respect the deer too much to take a chance on wounding one with such a small caliber and they are right in that. And besides, none of them can paddle a canoe fast enough to catch a swimming deer! LOL
Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
B&C 140 Class

Now as far as this friendly (I hope) argument goes, I have to agree with Ronn. Sure you can kill a deer or even a larger animal with a 22 head/brain shot, but no matter how many times you can shoot those tiny groups at the range with that caliber, it's still not a good choice for a real hunting situation. Look, at the range, there aren't nearly as many variables to make things go really wrong, really quickly. And, of course, you can't wound a target! No matter how you cut it, a bigger caliber does leave a little more margin for "error" or the unexpected in that regard. I, too have seen deer that had their jaws shot off. I can't say whether the hunter who did this had taken a head shot, but again, that shot has no margin for error, and, even though I'm trying really hard NOT to, I can't finish this post without saying that caliber or that shot is not ethical, in my opinion.