Back up elk gun - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Back up elk gun

Ok...headed to Colorado for an elk hunting trip in a few weeks. I have pretty much decided that I should shoot the 300 win mag for my primary gun. I can't remember exactly the name, but it is something like winchester power point or something like that in 180gr. I know this is a good round for elk, and am confident with the performance of this round in my gun. Here is my question...

I want to take a backup gun because...well...you never know what might happen in the mountains, and I would hate to be stuck up there with a gun that wont work or that gets broken somehow. My backup gun choices are .270, 30.06, or 7mag. I am comfortable shooting all of these, but I don't know which might work on an elk better. What do you guys think?
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM
ronn

Cool I am from the East C

I am from the East Coast and went Elk hunting last year in Colorado. I can tell you he will deiifntely need something to keep him warm. Cabelas has a new boot out that is 2000 grams thinsulate. I would not go without them. I went with my 1500 grams and my feet froze. You can also look into heated gloves/socks and anything else to keep him warm.If you do look for a rifle, I would look for a .300 Winchester magnum. It is a perfect gun for mule deer and Elk. However, you would need to look hard to find one at a low price.

Last edited by Isadora; 04-19-2014 at 03:49 AM. Reason: 26hyXSq0Ygg
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

hmm. that's probably a good choice...and the only one with a stainless barrel. That's probably the one I'll take. I would love to take my .270, but I would hate to abuse it up in the mountains. It is nothing special, but has been with me for a long time...killed my first deer with it. I don't really like the 30.06...don't know why, but I just don't like it that much. 7mag is fine, no major probs with it.

On a side note...I ordered a Leupold RX - 1 range finder today...anyone have input about that thing?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:04 PM
ronn

i know i said the 06 and then said the 7mm mag but thats how much of a toss up it is. weight and how quickly it handles are also factors to think about. if i were going i'd be in the same quandary. but my primary would be my 338 win mag. its an 03A3 bored out to 338 syn stock timney trigger and pentax lightseeker. lots of whack and quick handling. back up??????????????? 7mm mag or 338 rem ultra mag but probably the 7mm. sorry got nothing on the leupolds
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
B&C 140 Class

I agree with ronn on this. I kill elk here in Montana, and of the choices you mentioned , which are all more than adequate, I'd go with the 7mm as a back up. I agree with your first choice - that 300 is an elk killer for sure!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

I heard it snowed in Colorado. Heavy in spots. I wonder if this will get the elk moving down early? Anyone follow the elk patterns and know what these early snows do to their travels?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

Early snows, in themselves, don't change things much as far as elk are concerned. It takes a lot of snow to get the bulls especially to move to lower elevations. Something else to consider is how much grass is at those higher elevations. In years that have dry springs and summers, elk may move down earlier after it starts snowing simply because they have eaten most of the grass at those higher levels.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 PM

I hunt around the Eagle, Colorado area and like onehorse said sometimes it takes a lot of snow to move the bulls down if they are up. But, we've camped at 11,000 ft only to find they had moved lower to 8000 ft and no snow to move them? Feed had to be the reason. We've also gotten hit with snow storms which aren't too cool so be careful and watch the weather. No matter what a lot of leg work is needed to find where the elk are.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun hope ya have a great time.oe of these days.........i'll get out there
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 AM

whichever is your lightest weight rifle is the one I'd carry, all the calibers you mentioned would work.