New Rifle - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New Rifle

Hey all,

I grew up in Indiana where we dont use rifles for deer hunting. I recently moved to Texas and am looking to get a decent quality and priced used rifle for some deer hunting this year. I have no clue what is and isn't good when it comes to rifles.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd also like to shoot hogs with this rifle, but not necessary.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
B&C 140 Class

Here's my experience, my ideas and my recommendations: During my 50 years of hunting I've owned several Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters, Savages, and one Tikka. They were all good, dependable and in the same price and performance ranges. You can't go wrong with any of them. The most accurate of all of these, by far, is the Tikka T3 Lite. It has a super smoothe trigger pull, and seems to just put everything through the same whole. The manufacturer guarantees it to shoot a 3 shot group into one inch @ 100 yards.. and it does. Also, if you check the current prices, you will see that it is a lot less expensive than most of the others I have named. HOWEVER, you mustn't overlook the importance of how a rifle fits you. Is the length of pull right, what about the weight, does it seem to balance and carry comfortably? My recommendations are to shoot some of these, or any rifle in which you might be interested if you can, before buying. Buy the best rifle you can afford, and do the same when you purchase a scope. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

i dont have a whole lot of experiance in the hunting world. but i can offer what i have experianced. i went out and got my self a marlin model xl7.in .270win. it did the job on my buck. and would be plenty for hogs. i would think. rifle and scope im only in to mine about $600.00. good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:18 PM

There are so many rifles and bullet combinations out there I'd be perplexed to suggest just one. However, if deer hunting will pretty much be all you hunt then start with caliber: 270,280, 308,30-06 ect, Then determine your price range and start the search for product offerings in your price range. I think most rifles shoot very well so it will come down to cost. I'd think about quality optics and factor that into the price rage, for me I would lower the rifle $ to upgrade optics.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

i use a 30-30 and its pretty nice, it wasnt to expensive and its accurate. Thats what I recommend
Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

i love my 30-30 as well
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default good gun

I like the rem 7mm 08. I got it in the 700 classic version. very prestigious series. I bought it used for $500 in great shape. If you really want to get serious a good scope from Leupold will cost you from about $250- $400.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Scrub Buck

Default new gun

to be the best gun i have ever shot is a t/c i only use muzzleloader for deer but if you want a great deer rifle get you a t/c in 30.06 and you will be able to hunt most anything
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Scrub Buck

Default If I only had one all purpose rifle

I would choose a Browning A-Bolt .308. Extremely accurate with crisp trigger right out of the box. But then again it may have been the optics strapped to it.
For Texas shooting and buying a used rifle, I would look at the quality of scope as much or more than on the brand of the rifle.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

Everyone has their opinion on makes of rifles, and most companies try to make the best rifle that they can for the price that they sell them for. Handle several rifles and see which brand feels best for you. For the caliber, would need more information than you have given. Hunt only deer, hunt other game also Mule Deer, Elk etc. For deer alone, you might want to try a 25 06, or 7mm 08, both are great deer calibers and low recoil. If recoil is not a problem you can go larger, 270, 308, 30 06 or 7MM Remington Magnum. the deer will be just as dead with the smallest caliber as they will with the larger calibers.