Can you recommend a rifle? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

HM, I seen him post the same thing on another forum, yesterday. Well yesterday is when I seen it, he actually posted it the same time he did this one. It was odd, now knowing it, I seen the first post asking about a youth rifle and then his second post had the link down below it. Nobody there knew any difference. Glad to see buck fever is on his toes. Nice work.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Scrub Buck

6.5x55 Swede! Easy on the shoulder and can take just about any large game in the lower 48 with the proper ammunition.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 PM
B&C 160 Class

being a mod is no fun. iv been one on another site. it takes alot more dedication than most think, and it is a thankless job, so thanks.

as for his question im suprized no one mentioned the .223 not alot of kick and one fast round, that can easaly drop a deer.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 AM

I'm not surprised and I agree the .223 is a great caliber but the problem with the .223 is it has too big of a reputation in the military/tactical weapons divisions.
There's absolutley nothing wrong with the .223 Except, As soon as PETA or some other (hunter hate group) lashes onto the fact that a hunter is using a weapon that was designed for military/tactical use they absolutely lose their minds trying to make an issue out of it, so I think you'll find most hunters avoid using or boast about using the .223 caliber for hunting and that's probably why.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
B&C 160 Class

oh ok. when my son gets old enuff to hunt, if someone asks me what cal. he is using i'll just to avoid a with the ainti hunters.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default can you recommend a hunting gun

I would not recommend a .223 for deer hunting I've seen to many animals shot and never recovered with rounds like it the bear min. caliber I would say is a .243, 6mm, .257, you just need more bullet weight and energy than a .223, or .222 can deliver. Leave the smaller calibers for the varmints please I will be happier an so will the deer that don't get recovered.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

I was toying with taking an AR-15 hunting last season, simply because I was really familiar with my ar and it was an extremely good weapon and of course it will kill a deer, but it gives very very little margin for error, so i decided to go with my other option (7.63x54r) which gave me a ton more margin.
Theres no real argument for the .223 no being able to kill a deer, hell a .22LR is CAPABLE of it, but the chance is so bad about getting the shot right it makes its use unethical. On the .22 LR i mean.

And I always crack up when people refer to my ar-15 as an assault weapon or "built for combat". I have yet to see a semi-only M-16 or M-4 in the Army, but hey i havent been in very long at all, maybe im just weird. lol
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
ronn

I look at it this way. the sniper uses a what, bolt chambered in 338 lapua or a 7.62. the normal gi uses a m16 type. why? rounds down range. i feel the hunter is a sniper one shot one kill. why not use the tool made for such a purpose. not that you can't kill a deer with the ar's in 223 but why?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

That .338 Lapua MAG is a mean round. Massive range on that sucker. Cant wait to get one.

Zero bullet drop at 600 yards = awesome.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 07-25-2009, 04:29 PM
ronn

Default , I don't think ther

, I don't think there's anything wrong with our pucsahre plan. I have several friends who have various DPMS products and none have had any problems besides a tendency toward terrible, gritty and heavy triggers.Looked it up I'm cancer moon, pisces sun, virgo rising .

Last edited by Pigiko; 04-19-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: PeReHkQ4Ibx
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote