Anyone with .243 win experience for whitetail? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Anyone with .243 win experience for whitetail?

Im looking to take the .243 win deer hunting this season and i was wondering what performance you guys have gotten out of it for whitetail.

Could you compare it the performance of say a 308 win or a 30-06?

bullets used would be either Winchester or Remington 100 grain core-lokts or power points

THANKS!

Blackbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
ronn

its to hard to compare the 243 to the others. they all have different qualities. i can say the 243 is a fine round for deer. my son has taken both his deer with one. i would like to say add hornady 243 light mags in 100 gr to your list of possible ammo choices.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM

ya really can't compare the 243 to a 30 cal. However, it is a very good deer getting round.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Scrub Buck

Ok i didnt mean that i guess, what i meant to say is that does it kill as fast w/ a lung shot?
my reasoning is that i dont want to be chasing it all day..

blackbird
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

This type of question comes up all the time. It's a good question. The most important element of killing an animal humanely is bullet placement and bullet construction. The .243 is perfectly adequate for deer if these two factors are present. To illustrate: I was a taxidermist for 25 years, and during that time the largest bull elk that ever I mounted was killed by a 16 year old with a .243 using Barnes bullets. Although I wouldn't recommend this caliber for elk, this bull was shot in the heart and dropped in its tracks. I've seen deer shot through the lungs with a .243 that dropped just as fast. The heavier calibers give a little "cushion" if the shot happens to be a little off for whatever reason, but they really don't kill any faster or any "deader" under the right conditions. The .243 may actually be a better choice for a young person or someone who is not used to heavier recoil as this relatively light load will not result in the shooter developing a flinch. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
ronn

thats a great answer to the new question onehorse
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM

Well stated onehorse, I shot my first buck with a 243 it went only two steps after the shot. I consider that excellant bullet performance. Shot placement is the key.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Scrub Buck

Do you consider key shot placement as a heart shot? or is lung shot and high lung shot included?

what happens when the sholder is hit?

THANKS!!

Blackbird

Last edited by Blackbird; 03-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM

heart shot perfect, double lung very good short tracking, high shoulder shot with a 243 not great and (could) be a lost animal. The 30 cal bullets do gain the edge for hitting bone and creating better damage after that. The 243 being lighter faster tend to deflect off bone or not penitrate as well as a 30 cal. I still consider the 243 a good deer caliber. If I was going after 300 lb Canadian monster bucks I would want a bit more bullet than the 243. But like onehorse said about that elk taken with a 243 it can be done but not the best choise. For me the 243 is the starting point for deer calibers. I would highly consider a 243 for a wife and a new youth hunter or one of us that don't need the kick of the big guns anymore.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
heart shot perfect, double lung very good short tracking, high shoulder shot with a 243 not great and (could) be a lost animal. The 30 cal bullets do gain the edge for hitting bone and creating better damage after that. The 243 being lighter faster tend to deflect off bone or not penitrate as well as a 30 cal. I still consider the 243 a good deer caliber. If I was going after 300 lb Canadian monster bucks I would want a bit more bullet than the 243. But like onehorse said about that elk taken with a 243 it can be done but not the best choise. For me the 243 is the starting point for deer calibers. I would highly consider a 243 for a wife and a new youth hunter or one of us that don't need the kick of the big guns anymore.
exactly what i was looking for, thanks guys!!!!!

Blackbird