Anyone with .243 win experience for whitetail? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Blackbird, just about everyone has their opinion on bullet placement. After killing around a hundred big game animals over the years, here's mine. I prefer the high lung shot when I have a broadside. That shot will deliver a lot of damage - shock and bleeding. Usually, this shot drops game in its tracks and it also offers the best results if the shot is a little off the mark. If the bullet happens to strike a little high, the spine will be broken and the animal will go down like it was hit by a Greyhound bus. A little low will hit the heart = dead animal. A little forward will break a shoulder or two, and animals with broken shoulders don't go very far. If the bullet hits a little to the rear, the liver will be struck and the animal will bleed out very quickly. I once had the best of all situations when because of the particular shot angle, I hit the lungs, liver and spine of a buck antelope. This animal. like most high lung shots collpased like a marionette whose strings had just been snipped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Scrub Buck

onehorse, would you recommend a 100 grain partition for a shoulder shot or just a plain old 100 grian core-lokt?

just trying to expand my shot angles..

blackbird
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM

not being onehorse, I would steer away from a double or high shoulder shot with a 243, I would much rather see a solid double lung broadside shot or heart shot. Why go into the heavier bone and wasted meat area? I'm not sure that I understand the reason for the specific shot question.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
not being onehorse, I would steer away from a double or high shoulder shot with a 243, I would much rather see a solid double lung broadside shot or heart shot. Why go into the heavier bone and wasted meat area? I'm not sure that I understand the reason for the specific shot question.

Im just looking at what shots to take when available and what not to take. now i know
Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Scrub Buck

A .243 (in my opinion) is a great deer rifle for areas with less brush and trees (basically more 'cleared out') It can get the job done, but a 30.06 would be better for a little more brush, as it has more power and a larger bullet
Old 04-11-2009, 02:13 PM

with a 243 I don't think you're going to break both shoulders consistently, maybe on smaller deer. I personally would stay away from shoulder shots with this caliber. Just stick with double lung or heart and things will be good. No question with 30 cals you can break them down and be confident of that shot. just my opinion.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 04-14-2009 at 08:54 PM.