Just starting - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

Welcome from Montana. We always like new members to freshen things up a bit, and lots of times they ask the same question, so reading the old posts is a great way to start. We can give you more personalized advice if you tell us something about yourself and the specific type of hunting you will most likely be doing. For example: Do you have any experience with firearms, and if so, how much? Will you be hunting in heavy cover - long shots or short shots, or both? Stuff like that - the more you van tell us the better we can help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default scentlock

I just found the site and joined a couple of days ago, love it. You must get a scentlock outfit. Use that with rubber boots. Spray any exposed areas with scent elimitating spray. By the way, there are a hundred different sprays out there, but they are all basically the same- peroxide and water. I have been making my own for years. Mix 50/50 in a squirt bottle. It works great and is much cheaper. Everyone I see on tv always has their pants tucked into their boots. If your wearing some type of scentlock, I like to wear it outside my boots. that way I don't get the slapping sound of sticks hitting my boots. Also, a common mistake for new hunters(and some old hunters too) is they get to their stands like Jim Brown going through the line. Slow down, act like your stalking your stand, both in and out. Even if you don't see anything, you don't want them to Know you were there. This has helped me a lot.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
B&C 160 Class

all good advice
Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

Welcome from Va. and yes theres good advice all over this site, could you please tell us more about yourself, where you plan to hunt? Public land or private, what experience do you have hunting in general? Just starting theres so much to learn.
Start with the basics, learn all you can about deer, spend all the time you can in the area you plan to hunt, get your body and eyes in shape to hunt, when you decide on a rifle and scope(if you want and can afford it)don't cut corners, those will be your biggest investment.
Once you have them, use them, learn them, practice all you can, try different ammo, and see what your rifle likes the best(shoots the best groups).
Hunting is unlike alot of other sports, you can't be a"casual"hunter, the game deserves your very best, so learn all you can, talk to folks in your area, and post questions you have here, heck tell us what you've learned, we can learn also.
Best of luck, and keep us in formed
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparta mi dlv View Post
I just found the site and joined a couple of days ago, love it. You must get a scentlock outfit. Use that with rubber boots. Spray any exposed areas with scent elimitating spray. By the way, there are a hundred different sprays out there, but they are all basically the same- peroxide and water. I have been making my own for years. Mix 50/50 in a squirt bottle. It works great and is much cheaper. Everyone I see on tv always has their pants tucked into their boots. If your wearing some type of scentlock, I like to wear it outside my boots. that way I don't get the slapping sound of sticks hitting my boots. Also, a common mistake for new hunters(and some old hunters too) is they get to their stands like Jim Brown going through the line. Slow down, act like your stalking your stand, both in and out. Even if you don't see anything, you don't want them to Know you were there. This has helped me a lot.

Yeah, I think this is a point that people miss all the time. That and dont underestimate the value of getting to your stand EARLY. The August issue of Field & Stream had a really good article in which they did a few tests with a drug/bomb/fugitive sniffing dog finding a hunter. Came up with 3 results:

1) The dog couldnt detect two 2 hour old tracks, one with de-scented gear and one without and carelessly plodded.

2) The dog nailed both trails minutes old. De-scenting had zero impact on the dogs ability to detect the trails.

3) The dog busted an upwind hunter at over 250 yards.

Moral of the story: Get to the stand early, De-scent, and keep the wind in your face!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

I use Dead down Wind, and I have no idea if it really helps, but like has been said by Idontlikeyou get to your stand early, and that way you can get things in place and be ready. I like to get on stand atleast an hour before shooting light.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

Hey poppy I think that is why I have NEVER had any luck in the A.M. I have never hit the stand an hour before light. I definately will go earlier this season and not be so lazy. LOL Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
go spam some were elce. we dont want your crap hear. i reported your post.
Aroo? What spam?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
B&C 160 Class

the mods got it.