Trying to get into hunting questions? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
B&C 180 Class

YOU are the reason the gun will be accurate,practice often .All the big names are fine you need to go to a gun store and try them.hold them see how they feel imagine lugging it around the position of the safety what type of hunting you do are all things to consider its a very personal choice.most gun owners have more than 1 gun
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
YOU are the reason the gun will be accurate,practice often .All the big names are fine you need to go to a gun store and try them.hold them see how they feel imagine lugging it around the position of the safety what type of hunting you do are all things to consider its a very personal choice.most gun owners have more than 1 gun
very true

also, try to stay away from the Rem 770, i heard they are accurate but they are junk.. most i found agree with this opinion.

One of the most accurate rifles i have seen is a savage mod 11 in 308 win. a buddy of mine has it and he is getting on average .6 moa with it a 100 yards. He also shot a group roughly 1.6 moa at 200 yards, but that was a rough extimate, and with handloads.

like the saying goes, buy good once or cheap twice.

As mentioned, a 30-06 will do nicely for what you said. A .270 win would work too, but you are somewhat limited on bullet weight, as the max ive seen in a factory load is 150 grain. You wont notice a difference in bullet drop probably till 350-400 yards and even then its slight. Good bullets for deer are in the 150 to 165 grain range. Good bullets for elk are 165-180 grain, and possibly premium. And i daresay since you are a new hunter you dont have any business shooting over 250 yards unless you put in the range time.

Best of luck and always be safe,

blackbird

Last edited by Blackbird; 03-23-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Scrub Buck

Default do it

just hunt, the gun is scondary
Old 03-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Scrub Buck

Being a new hunting and if you are mostly going after deer a .270 is a good choice. Many even use it on moose with no problems.

I have helped many new hunters and still do.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 03-31-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
B&C 120 Class

You could come under budget with the following combo:

Marlin XL7 - 30-06 ($280-300)
Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 ($129-159)
Total - ($409-459)

I would suggest using a Federal Sierra Game King 165gr- 30-06.
Your rifle will tell you what ammo it likes but this ammo seems to work
well in alot of rifles. I just bought a XL7-25-06 and this rig is remarkably accurate for its price.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM
B&C 160 Class

I just bought a Tikka T3 Lite in stainless 270WSM and I put a leopold VariX 2 4x12x50. The whole outfit set me back a little over $800. Very, very accurate rifle right out of the box. If you look around for a used gun with todays market I bet you could get the same thing for around $500 or so. Onehorse turned me on to this set up and it is everything he said it would be. Very Pleased.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:46 PM

There are many great deer calibers out there, take your time and consider all aspects ie what you are hunting where you are hunting multible species game weight ect. The 270 and 30-06 are just two of the the many available that cover quite a few hunting situations. There is nothing wrong in picking something different! To me half the fun is in the shopping and gathering of information and knowing I did my homework.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
very true

also, try to stay away from the Rem 770, i heard they are accurate but they are junk.. most i found agree with this opinion.

blackbird

Mean face!! Ive got no complaints with mine.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill