A very different question - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM

It's late winter, your deer are looking for what little food they can find to survive the remainder of winter.
It really isn't a stubborn determination for territory, the fact is they don't have enough energy right now to leave your area,
they have to conserve what little energy they have left and Instinct tells them they can't leave yet there's too much snow
and it's too cold for them to try and relocate... it's an awkward situation for both sides.

Bucks shed their antlers long before now so chances are you won't see any this time of year...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Deer Nuisance Problems <- more info from the CT. Dept. of Environmental protection

Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Only thought that I have would be to run out there after them like a lunatic screaming and dancing. Or just talk to them in a civil fashion asking them to leave with no hard feelings.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 AM
B&C 140 Class

I believe that shooting them with anything would be illegal in your case. Even if you could shoot them during the hunting season, you'd be using an illegal weapon if you only used a pellet gun. And, since the hunting season only accounts for a very short time of the year, they'd come right back afterwards. My advice, after the wardens, would be to get a big old nasty dog. In fact, even a small dog scares the heck out of deer. And, since your property is fenced, you shouldn't have to worry about the dog getting out.

Last edited by timberghost; 02-08-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Scrub Buck

Would it be acceptable to just leave a note
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
ronn

the deer don't seem to read the notes and game plans i leave for them so i'm guessing its not going to work. lol
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Scrub Buck

I think repairing the fence and if necessary re-inforcing it is the answer. Am I correct in assuming they will be deterred more easily from breaking in than in escaping.
Will start next few days as we've entered a warm spell here.
A dog, with the fence, preferably of moderate size, young and affectionate might be preferable to big, old and nasty, but I'm not sure we're prepared to make that commitment again.
By the way BruceBruce you (and that shield) and others keep making me feel like a criminal just for asking questions about pellet guns so I may as well ask what is this all about, are these civil (fine?) or criminal (jail?) type crimes?.......just asking as I feel very uncomfortable being the only one here who doesn't know.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
ronn

If you don't mind I'll take a stab at answering your question about being against the law. Each state has its own laws in regards to hunting. They also have laws in regards to wildlife protection. It's important to keep in mind that those who shoot deer out of season, with the wrong type or size weapon, and so on are not "hunters". Most folks don't realize that the bulk of the money to preserve free space, protect habitat, restoration projects, maintenance of hiking trails, help for non-game animals is payed for by hunters through special taxes on the equipment we buy and the licences we purchase. Point being that a hunter is truly a conservationist. So when we see or know of something that just isn't right or illegal, its important to us to make sure its straightened out. I think that you should be commended for asking your first question and not just going ahead and shooting at them with a bb gun or some other illegal act. now for the last question you asked. I'm pretty sure it would be a criminal act. chances are that it would lead to a fine but jail time is on the table, again each state is different. hope that helps
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 AM

Ronn. Great explanation.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM

very good responce ronn. Jail time I think would be a strech but i can see a fine for sure for shooting at them even with pellet/beebe gun. There is no question deer do damage to expensive landscape plants and this is something to resolve. I'm not sure there is a sure fire way to completely get rid of them. A dog that patrols constantly would have to be an outside dog even in the winter??? Maybe just giving them something else to eat during the hard winter time they are there would save the landscape plants.