A very different question - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Default To All

You guys have been great and I appreciate it.
Checked out Game Warden site and will talk to them tomorrow, thanks BruceBruce.
I agree that all/most chemical type deterrents are probably too much constant work and expense with limited effect.
Probably will work on repairing/strengthening fence and see if that works (driveway gate is still vulnerable).
I'm still very curious to at least understand what if any effect a .177 or .22 pellet at above speed, weight, distance and particular points of impact would have.
Right now I have no idea if the deer would even feel it or if it would/could cause a mortal wound.
Would really appreciate some insight into this, ignorance is over-rated and definitely not bliss.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 AM

The .22 could easily be Fatal. A high powered rifle in any caliber causes deep penetration.
The .177 caliber pellets while it may not be fatal initally, It will cause wounding and become infected causing a slow death.

If you shoot at a soda can with the pellet gun you'll see just how stong those pellets can be,
If they can rip open a can imagine how easily they can penetrate an animals hide.

you'd be better off shooting Blanks to scare them off but that might just push them deeper into your property.
The Game Wardens have proper equipment and training to remove the animals safely, rope netting, tranquilizers, cage traps...
Let them handle it and please, don't forget to take pics to share with us when they haul them off.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 AM
B&C 140 Class

I have a high powerd pellet gun 1200fps and it rips right through 1/2in plywood at 40yrds.i wouldn't reccomend using this type of deterent.did you try mothballs?i used them last summer for the deer from getting into my garden and it worked?
Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 AM
B&C 120 Class

How about planting stuff the deer do not like to eat? Most nurseries can help you with this, and I am sure you are not the only one in your area with this problem. Also the game warden removing them, is a great idea but only temporary they will be back. GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Thanks again and my takeaway

I very much appreciate all of the insights and ideas you guys have provided. I will try camphor, did plant bushes/trees they don't like but as the winter season goes on they're more willing to eat what they supposedly don't like including the bottom 5' of 8 magnificent 12-16' tall Hollies. Will try to protect last 3 with camphor and some store bought stuff.
But the equally important takeaway from this experience is the great sense of community you guys share. I have been amazed at the spirit of helpfulness you guys have shown and equally important, the sense of respect and ethics you have demonstrated regarding the ethical "taking" of deer. As a "city folk" I have not had the opportunity to experience the "culture" of hunting before and I am impressed.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

get a dog!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM

a dog is a bad idea also. many game officers can and will shoot dogs that chase or harass deer.
Plus, a dog running after a deer in winter causes the deer to expel too much energy during his escape
Deer need all that energy to survive long cold winters...

Biologists are Watching Winter Conditions this article mentions dogs chasing deer.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
ronn

there's a place for all God's creatures. it this case its right next to the mashed potatoes. kidding. irish spring or heavily scented soaps may keep the deer away from your plantings. short of that deer adapt very well to almost anything.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM

maybe throwing feed on the other side of your fence will satisfy them and keep them away from the $$$$ plants. I think the DNR will just smile and say its your problem. Just watch those blood trails left in the snow.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Scrub Buck

Default the humor of it all

I'm sitting at my computer looking at four of them quietly sitting on a wooded rise about 30-40 yards away (two more are presumably over the rise) with at least one of them rubbing it in by making all sorts of mouth movements as if she is digesting her latest meal or anticipating her next.
It seems quite ironic to me that I can possibly kill them with a bow but I can't annoy them with a low powered pellet (500fps) and that I can chase them away for a hundred days and they'll still return the next day.
I am also equally impressed and annoyed at their stubborn determination to be so territorial that it is almost like a marriage, i.e. "till death do us part".
BTW, where are the bucks? at what age are antlers visible? and should I assume this herd of six includes young males?
I can get some Coyote urine and plastic containers to hold it but coyotes are only lately returning to this area and if these guys have never seen a coyote would they respond to it?
Oops, the mouth mover is up and grazing and probably about to roam have to get my jacket and get out there (this is the 51st straight day of snow completely covering the ground...just thought I would mention that).