First Timer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Scrub Buck

Default First Timer

I just got stationed in Kansas and Ive never been deer hunting before. Anyone have any tips for me on getting started? kind of camo, rifles, equiptment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 09:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

The way you say stationed, I 'm led to believe you are Miltary. Join the on post rod and gun club and you can learn alot about the area, Safety, and go on guided hunts. Thanks for your continued service and welcome to DHC.com.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKANSAS WHITETAILER View Post
The way you say stationed, I 'm led to believe you are Miltary. Join the on post rod and gun club and you can learn alot about the area, Safety, and go on guided hunts. Thanks for your continued service and welcome to DHC.com.

Right on AW!!! Also, being stationed in Kansas is a great start. Welcome aboard.......
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Scrub Buck

where do i find that post?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
B&C 100 Class

What branch of the service are you in?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Scrub Buck

Air Force at mcconnell. love the cold weather now.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

The Rod and Gun Club is usually found somewhat close to the small arms ranges or on post lakes. It is part of the military (MWR) morale, welfare, and recreation division. These are the people that you have to go through to hunt on post and use ranges for personal shooting and such. It really is a good group to join to pass military time without being down town in trouble. As part, you may have to go out on details to clean ranges of spent brass and litter at the lakes but its all part of it. Talk to your leader or somebody who has been on-post for a while and they can direct you to the correct building.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Scrub Buck

Awesome! I know what ill be doing tomorrow at lunch! Right now im just trying to get involved with the right people so i can have fun and be safe at the same time. Im starting with trying to find the right rifle to work on my aim for next year. i dont think its exactly like shooting an m16 lol.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

The BRAS (breathe, relax, aim, squeeze,) technique is the same but every rifle is a little different. Being a military town there ought to be alot of pawn shops there. Go down and handle some and see what best fits your frame. Maybe get in good with the owners and strike a deal. The terrain in Kansas can be different from area to area so try to find something that can make long shots as while short. You want something that you can shoulder (pull up and aim) quickly with one smooth light and quite movement. If you read some of the past post on rifle and shotgun choices it will give you a better outlook on what you may need. I like the 30/30 Marlin for a first timer but the 30.06 and .270 are great all around rifles also.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

First of all welcome Kansas, and thanks for your service. You really got lucky being stationed in Kansas. There are some really nice bucks in this state and there are some really good hunting areas around Eldorado Lake, Kingman State Lake, and Marion Resivior. All of these places are within an hour and a half of Wichita. I live north of Wichita in Whitewater and hunt this area. If you are interested I know a few people in the area that I could possibly get you on some private ground. Any questions please contact me.