Montana Deer Season Closed - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Montana Deer Season Closed

The deer season ended yesterday, and it was a successful one for me. So, I guess it's time to start planning for next year. Got some ideas about a hunt for whitetails up on the famous Milk River - where Real Tree and all those equipment companies film videos showing how their stuff works so well on big bucks.
Had a friend go up there this year, and he said it was just like in the videos. It was too good for him, because he kept waiting for a bigger buck (saw 27 on one day). Anyway, he waited till the last day which was a mistake. It started raining the night before, and the roads turned to gumbo, so there was no way to get any place. Except on the way home, he hit a buck with his truck ($4000 worth of damage). Now that's an expensive bullet!

Last edited by onehorse; 12-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
ronn

Thumbs down I've never tried dee

I've never tried deer meat. Vension is what we call it I think? Not many deer in Australia; we eat Kangaroo and crocadile inatesd haha I was kidding here,as I'm not much of a meat eater, but some people do eat kangaroo and croc, very lean like deer.Vension is gourmet in Ireland and the UK.

Last edited by Chaudhery; 04-19-2014 at 03:21 AM. Reason: f90FjGiLxut
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

Ronn, the weather has been so warm and relatively snowless, that the elk kill is way down. Many of the animals are still way up in the mountains. As a result, FWP has extended the season for 3 more weeks. Hopefully, the weather will turn and the elk will get a little more numerous and "concentrated" in more accessible areas. I've got reservations on a private ranch (cows only) for the next three weekends and may also hunt on public land (bulls and cows).
My friend wasn't with an outfitter, but has contacts (rancher friends) up on the Milk, so things look pretty interesting for next year as he has invited me to join him. It's a long way off, but worth dreaming about.
By the way, I killed my 5x5 whitetail with the Model Seven (300WSM). What a sweet handling rifle that is. My Tikka has some serious competition for my affection!

Last edited by onehorse; 12-01-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
ronn

contacts are a wonderful thing. lots of dream time between now and then. good luck if the elk.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
B&C 180 Class

i like that they kept the season open for an extra 3 weeks..good deal on making the contacts with the new property
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

onehorse you lucky guy to hunt over there on the Milk River area. I live over here in the Flathead area of the state, and would love to hunt over there sometime.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter