What Gun is best - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 AM
30/30 sniper 30/30 sniper is offline
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Default What Gun is best

I want to take a poll, what do you guys think is the best deer hunting rifle. Choosing by calibur, accuracy, and most importantly where your hunting, how far shots your gonna get. I love the gun i use its a Marlin 336 model bolt action 30/30 with a gold ring louepold scope on it with 2-7 ajustment its pefect for where i hunt im not gonna get a shot more that 100 yards. I have a draw that goes back 50 yards to my left and in front of me i have a creek and behind that i have a grass field im in a tree line and to the right of me I have a hill leading right down to my stand I love it. We've harvested two nice buck from that stand had a miss fire with a black powder on another and shot a maybe ten point but one side of the rack was messed up.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 03:29 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

huh?! always thought the 336 was a lever action.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 04:08 PM
onehorse's Avatar
onehorse onehorse is offline
B&C 140 Class
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 776
Default

If you've been on this site for a while, or any other hunting site for that matter, you'll see this questions comes up from time to time. This question often generates a lot of responses and opinions, even a friendly argument or two. My answer always is that my rifle is the best..... for me. The best gun for deer hunting, or anything else, for you is the gun that YOU shoot best. Of course, the caliber must be adequate for the size of the game animal and the normal shooting ranges that are encountered, and, of course, it has to be a legal caliber. Other than that, I don't believe there is any one caliber or action that is the "best" in an absolute sense. Some relatively small calibers have killed some mighty big animals over the years, and the action doesn't matter that much if you get that first shot where it belongs. The most important thing is that the hunter is confident with the gun he or she is holding, and that comes from experience at the range and in the field.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Hunting Man Hunting Man is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon, Ohio
Posts: 7,731
Default

amend to that onehorse and ronn I think you caught something.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 PM
cullbuck cullbuck is offline
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tifton, GA
Posts: 10
Default

My favorite is the one I have in my hands from time I take the shot to the time I kill the next deer. Shot placement is everything......although I like to make excuses to buy guns for different situations. I've killed most of my deer with 00 buckshot, a few with a 300 Win Mag, a few with a 7mm-08, and a few with a 270 Win. I've have also killed the odd deer with a 12 gauge slug, a 22 LR (head or neck shot), someone elses 30-06 and 22-250. However, I'm having a fetish for a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 09:40 PM
timberghost's Avatar
timberghost timberghost is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: western new york
Posts: 3,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
My answer always is that my rifle is the best..... for me. The best gun for deer hunting, or anything else, for you is the gun that YOU shoot best. Of course, the caliber must be adequate for the size of the game animal and the normal shooting ranges that are encountered, and, of course, it has to be a legal caliber. The most important thing is that the hunter is confident with the gun he or she is holding, and that comes from experience at the range and in the field.
Right on the nose Mr. Onehorse. All I use is a Rem 710 3006 and it is very good to me. But to some others it may be a clunker of a rifle. I love my clunker.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Id0ntlikeyou's Avatar
Id0ntlikeyou Id0ntlikeyou is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seguin, TX
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Right on the nose Mr. Onehorse. All I use is a Rem 710 3006 and it is very good to me. But to some others it may be a clunker of a rifle. I love my clunker.
No more of a clunker than my Mosin Nagant! I do so love that $85 rifle.
__________________
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 AM
BruceBruce1959's Avatar
BruceBruce1959 BruceBruce1959 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 5,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
huh?! always thought the 336 was a lever action.
Im thinking the same as you ronn, I've never seen a 336 that wasn't lever actioned.
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
sum0902's Avatar
sum0902 sum0902 is offline
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atoka, Tn
Posts: 17
Default

I'm with ronn. I've never seen a 336 that wasn't a lever action. By the way it is a great gun in a 35 Remington.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM
buckslayer30/06 buckslayer30/06 is offline
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse View Post
If you've been on this site for a while, or any other hunting site for that matter, you'll see this questions comes up from time to time. This question often generates a lot of responses and opinions, even a friendly argument or two. My answer always is that my rifle is the best..... for me. The best gun for deer hunting, or anything else, for you is the gun that YOU shoot best. Of course, the caliber must be adequate for the size of the game animal and the normal shooting ranges that are encountered, and, of course, it has to be a legal caliber. Other than that, I don't believe there is any one caliber or action that is the "best" in an absolute sense. Some relatively small calibers have killed some mighty big animals over the years, and the action doesn't matter that much if you get that first shot where it belongs. The most important thing is that the hunter is confident with the gun he or she is holding, and that comes from experience at the range and in the field.
im with onehorse 100 percent on this one i wouldnt trade my ruger m77 30/06 for anything to me thats the best gun anyone could buy
__________________
DONT HURT EM.... HOYT EM!!!

work to live
live to hunt...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top Posters
Hunting Man7731
buckfever5650
BruceBruce19595437
timberghost3918
joel the signman3608
tator3186
gfdeputy22899
delbert1515
Buckshot1219
hunt NH1203
Photos
Deer Pictures
Slickhead Stalker RN
Deer Pictures
Team DHC Articles


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.



    LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8