What Gun is best - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
ronn

you mean couldn't buy? I feel the same about my 03A3 bored out to .338 win mag. best rifle you couldn't buy.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM

whatever gun I pick for that hunt is my favorite. They all shoot straight all I have to do is hit what I aim at.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
ronn

i'm a guns are for buying, not selling guy. but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Scrub Buck

I use a remington 710 .270 and it has never failed. This is one of those questions that's just a matter of personal opinion.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Scrub Buck

The first gun I went hunting with was when I was hunting for muley, when I lived in California. My dad has a beautiful 30-06 Semi Remington with a nice Leupold 3-9 on it, and then he has the gun he let me use... I used the 1964 Winchester Model 94...WITH the metal butt plate. And of course not really knowing a ton about hunting, I thought that bigger was better and ended up getting the 180 grain rounds. Needless to say that thing kicked liked a raped ape, and I had perfect indentions where the aforementioned metal buttplate was driving into the fleshe between my shoulder and upper chest... I went out very little that year...

For Michigan, you can not use a rifle below the 43 parallel or something like that, so I have gotten used to my Model 1300 Winchester Pump with a 2-7x36 Bushnell Banner on it. Its good to 125 and really around here, at least where I hunt you won't get a shot much further than that. It is very accurate and every deer I have shot with it, it has dropped them in their tracks. Works good enough for me.

I have a crazy Vietnam Vet uncle who lives off the land essentially in California, and he has always killed his deer with his .30 Carbine, and wouldn't want to change guns if he had the chance to. He loves that gun. I have another buddy who swears by his .243 and drops them with one well placed shot on big muleys...

Essentially like the others said, it is what you like and what feels good to you.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Scrub Buck

There are countless deer rifles that will do the job adaquately. I have taken deer with a dozan or so calibers. During my hunting years I have called several the best during the period I used it. But I have settled on a .243 for several reasons. It has little recoil and is extremely accurate. With it I can place the bullet where I elect on the deers body and the range is great up to 300 yards. I don't shoot at running deer or at deer beyond 300 yards. I do believe that all good deer rifles must have a good trigger and a level of recoil that permits the shooter to put that bullet where they want it. Ozarkben
Old 12-21-2008, 04:06 PM
ronn

well stated.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:20 PM

I agree also, shoot whats comfortable and you shoot well. Right now I enjoy my savage 99 in 300 sav, tomorrow who knows. I have a good friend who shoots a win 38-55, I have one too but haven't shot it. Shooting some of the older rifles and bullets adds an additional measure of enjoyment to the hunt. I sold a 375 win and a marlin 444, should have kept both of those!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Best deer gun

For me it's my Win. 88/.308. then my Encore 209x50..but it's awful close