brush gun - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
ronn

Default brush gun

ok this will probably start something but it should be a good topic.

People talk about this caliber and that caliber being a good "brush gun". I think when someone says brush gun it has nothing to do with the caliber. I think a brush gun is a gun that handles quickly, is short, is light, and doesn't have a Hubble scope on it. I've heard folks say that this bullet will deflect and this will bust through the brush. I don't believe this to be true. I've seen a 45 ml deflect while a guy shot at a deer at less than 50 yards. I think it, deflection killing or not, has more to do with the brush in relationship to the gun and the target. If the brush is near the target, say with in a couple feet, it could still be a killing shot and if the brush was within a couple feet of the muzzle who knows where it will go, regardless of caliber. I saw that Larry whats his name shoot at a deer with that 375 thing he shoots and because he hit a heavy leaf at 2 ft he missed the deer by 4 ft. I saw a deer killed with a 06 that went through a 2" limb and the bullet hit the neck which was the target. heck of a wound by the way. but only because the limb was only a couple feet in front of the deer.

just my thoughts. so to me a brush gun can be any caliber, the model is the deciding factor.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

I call my trusty Marlin 336 30-30 my brush gun. It shoots well through light brush without much defelection, it's light to carry, and I got into it for $35 dollars so a few scratches and scrapes add character. I usually always have it with me in the stand or the truck through the entire deer season just in case I have to track one through the briar patches and pine tree plantations and undergrowth here in South Arkansas. Not to mention my 8 year old daughter has one just like it and it makes her feel a little special when our rifles match.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM
ronn

Thumbs down Meryl I'm VERY happy

Meryl I'm VERY happy that you have taken steps to protect yuolserf. I congratulate you on your deciding to get a carry permit.I have one thing to tell you: PLEASE, oh PLEASE do not just get the permit and toss that gun in a drawer or a safe and forget about it .You need to go to a range at LEAST once a month, more if you can afford it. Firearms skills only get better with repeated use. By shooting often your body learns to go into automatic when you need to use the gun.When faced with a shoot/no shoot situation, you're brain will be COMPLETELY taken with that thought process, if your shooting skills aren't automatic you must probably won't survive, or WORSE you may miss and shoot an innocent.Good job with that choice. 38 is a GREAT self defense caliber. Not just for a learner but a seasoned pro. My main is a Semi auto Kimber 1911 in .45acp. My back-up is a Smith and Wesson Model 13 revolver in .357 mag which can also shoot .38 without a problem.And for that 22 rifle, it's not just for fun, it as well has uses. God forbid something horrible happens and you need food. A 22 is invaluable as a hunting rifle. I'd get at least 1000 rounds of 22, that should cost you about 30 bucks.With your .38 get a box of self defense loads. And only use them when the gun is on stand by . For range use get light loaded or handicap rounds. They are WAY easier to shoot. And when you NEED to shoot the more powerful stuff your body will be so up on adrenaline you won't even notice a difference in recoil. Plus at close ranges (with-in 12 yards for most self defense shootings) the difference in impact points of the bullets will be negligible.Sorry for the long post but fire arm safety, and self defense is kinda my thing . And I want to make sure you do it right.Good luck. And remember to keep your powder dry!

Last edited by Ridwan; 04-19-2014 at 09:49 PM. Reason: YjF2j0LVU
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

What I think makes a good brush gun is how it shoulders, the balance, how well it swings and the sights. My favorte sight for a brush gun is a holographic sight (red dot scopes are not holographic). If it has iron sights, I prefer a rear peep sight for possible shots at longer distances. I would suggest a rifle that has a ring front sight, even if the rear sight is an open sight.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

What I think makes a good brush gun is how it shoulders, the balance, how well it swings and the sights. My favorte sight for a brush gun is a non-magnifying holographic sight (red dot scopes are not holographic). If it has iron sights, I prefer a peep sight for possible shots at longer distances with the front sight consisting of a post and ring. I would suggest a rifle that has a ring front sight, even if the rear sight is an open sight.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

my vote is for the 336 in 30/30 i got a bushnell 1x4 scope (banner 2) that i can flip over and use the iron sights if i want .thats my go to tool
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

I personally have the Marlin 1895G in 45-70 with it's 18.5" barrel, Skinner Sight as my brush gun.

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-26-2008, 03:50 AM

ronn, I'm going to agree with you on this one. No gun should be pruchased with the idea that it will somehow mowdown half the woods and still hit the intended target. Everyone has a story that their brush gun split a limb and still killed the animal. I believe these are very few in number. Some of the quote brush guns that I have hunted with are 30-30,32 spec,375 win,444 mar The faster the bullet speed the more the more deflection that will occur. A properly equiped shotgun may fill the brush gun mentality better than most. Good optics are a must in order to see the obsticals in the bullets line of path. I'm not one to used a rifle for a brush hog.I think a better term would be a short quick manuvering/shouldering rifle equiped with low power optics.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail_Freak_Hunter View Post
I personally have the Marlin 1895G in 45-70 with it's 18.5" barrel, Skinner Sight as my brush gun.

That's not a gun it's a cannon.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 AM
B&C 100 Class

Here is a company that will take your Marlin levergun and turn it into a nice short fast handling 16.5" Trail Gun. I don't need a 16.5" barreled Marlin so I will pass and feel my Skinner Sight is just as effective as the rear sight they are using.

I really hate the term "Brush Gun" because they are not intended for breaking brush like it has been stated.

If you have the money.......

http://www.grizzlyguns.com

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter