brush gun - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
B&C 140 Class

The only true brush gun I can think of is a 12 gauge at close range (Under 20-30 yards) with Buckshot. That is what the original purpose was for. Still does not mean it is an ETHICAL shot. To me brush gun falls in the same category as the deer drive. Just the thought of it sounds like an accident waiting to happen along with the high probability of a wounded animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
ronn

I disagree wmi. If a brush gun is a quick handling, easy to shoulder rifle, of any caliber, this is what I would use to slip hunt or still hunt or for a long hump. especially working tickets or swamps, hemlock stands in foul weather, which isn't a deer drive. the buckshot thing came to be cause in the olden days, back in the 50's (grin), folks could only afford one gun and it needed to be able to do it all, with that I will add I wouldn't use buckshot at all but thats me. but if you think about it that, buckshot, would be about the safest thing you could use in a deer drive. I've seen them on tv doing deer drives for true trophy bucks, in Kansas, saskatchewan, Alberta. If they are nocturnal how else do you get them on their feet during hunting hrs?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Deer drives are still popular in Southern Ohio and many parts of PA. Some of my hunting buds still use 00 buckshot in North Carolina swamps. Maybe the snakes catch some of it. Instead of a brush gun lets call em quick handleing close range hunting guns. I agree that no one should be spraying buckshot into thick brush hoping to mortally wound an animal. Nothing will bust brush and be accurate, well maybe a dozer.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

My "brush gun" is a winchester lever action 30-30. I always assumed brush gun meant hunting in the brush. No way would I ever shoot at something through brush without a clear bullet path or known target. That's crazy.....
Old 11-26-2008, 04:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

I do alot of hog hunting on horseback and my 30/30 is also called my saddle gun but that don't mean I shoot saddles with it. I guess all of wmi's deer fall instantly or the lay of the land is different in Maryland. If a shot deer has enough life to run here in South Arkansas it's headed as deep in a briar patch or pine thicket as it can get before death sets in. I just don't like busting through the brush and the thick briar patches to find it with a long, heavy, high dollar rifle with precision optics attached. My 30/30 is just right to tote in just in case a second shot is needed or something else in found in the brush while searching. (Snakes, bobcats, feral hog, coyote, etc).

Last edited by ARKANSAS WHITETAILER; 11-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
My "brush gun" is a winchester lever action 30-30. I always assumed brush gun meant hunting in the brush. No way would I ever shoot at something through brush without a clear bullet path or known target. That's crazy.....
That pretty much sums up how I felt about it. When we say brush gun around here it simply means your hunting some woods, possibly thick. Same rules still apply. You have to have a clear shot on the target, you just dont need a flat shooting 300 yard rifle to get the job done. 30-30 is what we would call a brush gun.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKANSAS WHITETAILER View Post
I do alot of hog hunting on horseback and my 30/30 is also called my saddle gun but that don't mean I shoot saddles with it. I guess all of wmi's deer fall instantly or the lay of the land is different in Maryland. If a shot deer has enough life to run here in South Arkansas it's headed as deep in a briar patch or pine thicket as it can get before death sets in. I just don't like busting through the brush and the thick briar patches to find it with a long, heavy, high dollar rifle with precision optics attached. My 30/30 is just right to tote in just in case a second shot is needed or something else in found in the brush while searching. (Snakes, bobcats, feral hog, coyote, etc).
Let's put it this way they don't go far. In my state it is thick and we can only hunt with muzzle loaders or shotguns. I use the ML , tell you what a Barnes 250 grain hollow point through the shoulders and he won't go far if at all.
Why track when with a well placed shot and you won't have too.

Last edited by wmi; 11-26-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think I'm getting a little off subject here, but I usually tenderize my deer shoulders after the hunt. Ain't nothing like smoking a shoulder in Italian dressing but it just does not look the same on a platter when it resembles a donut And I wasn't planning on eating the heart anyway so why not aim for it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:57 PM
B&C 140 Class

I agree with ronn, Joel and Hunting Man on this one. The ten point that I got two weeks ago was shot at just about 50 yards with a fast-handling, light Rem. Model 7 in 300 WSM. I was almost surprised at how fast it got into action as the buck was coming right toward my grunt call. Thing is, I can also make a shot at over 425 yards with that same gun. Where I live and hunt, I need a rifle that can do that. But I tell you what, that short rifle that Freak has sure looks like a "brush rifle" if there ever was one!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
ronn

thanks onehorse that was what i was trying to get at but didn't say it as well.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote