325 short mag - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default 325 short mag

Does anyone know much about the 325 short mag. I think it was manufactured in 2006 and the only three companies that I know of that produce it is Browning, Savage, and Ruger. I want something that will shoot a long distance with little drop. I have been looking at the 300 ultra mag but the bullets are very expensive. I have heard good things about the 325 and wanted to know what ya ll think about it. Also do any of you have a Savage rifle and if so do you like it and the Accu trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
ronn

never heard of the round. i do have 3 savage rifle 1 being the smokeless muzzle loader. none with the accutrigger but they are all adjustable. i think you must defined long range first then drop comes into play. the 300 rum is a bad (*&^$%^& round as is the 7mm rum or the 338 rum or the 257 hot tomalli. i guess tell us what you are trying to do and you will get a clearer answer.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Can't help you on this one, but just a question: how long a shot you thinking about/ Many deer calibers will reach out 300-400 yds if you can do it and have qualiy optics. I have a couple of 270 WM's that can do that range very well. Ammo is pricey though. Someone here will have some input on your specific question I'm sure.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

Well I want something to shoot anywhere from 300 to 500 yards. I don't plan to shoot a a deer at 500 yds but me and my buddies love to shoot and always try to out do one another and stuff like that. I am going with a relative elk hunting and I don't feel confident with the range of my Browning 30-06. I don't want to buy a rifle that is too big for deer but it has to be big enough for elk at 300 yds. I been looking a 300 ultra mag for a while and they finally made it in a left handed Remington xcr model that I really wanted but I heard about the 325 and was curious. A gun shop owner in my town says he shoots his Savage 325 at 600 yds. He says its flatter than a 300 ultra mag and has as much knock down power as a 338. I wont take his word alone on it and let him talk me into buying that gun until I know more about it.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

The WSMs are all based on the same case. The calibers that have been produced so far are the 270, 7mm, 300, and 325. I believe the 325 is the least popular - that's not because it isn't a good round. The others are flatter-shooting. I currently own a 270 and 300. They will both shoot way out there, and I don't think 500 yards is out of the question. PROVIDED that the hunter has practiced at that range. As for your gun shop owner saying that he shoots regularly at 600 with the 325WSM, he's either a hell-of-a-good shot or he just happens to have a 325 that he wants to sell you. I live and hunt in elk and deer country. Last week, while I was elk hunting, I just happened to run into a great whitetail buck. Too bad for him. I was using my 300WSM and I dropped him at about 50 yards, but would have felt confident if it had been 450 yards - even if it had been a bull elk. I believe the 300WSM is the best of the WSMs for elk because it is very flat-shooting and has more than enough power to kill a big animal like an elk at long range. Keep in mind that the type of bullet that you shoot also has a big effect on accuracy and killing ability especially when you are considering shots over 300 yards.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 PM

600 yds is a looooooooong way out there. You will have way more in optic costs to do that, than in the rifle. Not your average hunting rig. The 30-06 may not be the perfect elk rifle, it will do a good job at most elk shot ranges. I actually shoot a 270 weatherby mag in 150gr topped with a 3X9X44 weatherby supreme scope for elk. I take my rem mountain rifle in 270 win as a back up. 300 yds would be my limit.