Deer Hunting Forums banner

scent elimination...no clue!!

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ARKANSAS WHITETAILER 
#1 ·
well boys, I dont have a clue what I am doing. Sorry to say. I just have a few questions maybe someone with a little experience can help a young feller out. By the way I am a rifle hunter.

After shower with scent free soap, Do you use a scent free towel?

In the shower do you use a scent free wash rag that has been washed with scent free detergent?

After the shower, do you start putting all your hunting clothes on now? Then Get in your non-scent free truck and drive to your hunting spot?
---What I did last year was put all colthes on except for outer layer then put that on once I got to the field. But I didn't shoot a thing all season.

last question... I have been looking for a scent free "bag" to put hunting cothing in between hunts and through the off season. I have looked at scent free bags from scent lok and other brands but that crap is way to expensive for a piecs of plastic?! What I came across was those space saving bags at wal-mart that are gigantic in size, that you put your vacuum on them and suck all the air out. What do you guys think? I have tried it already and things seem to be working alright; no leaks or problems. I bought 1 jubo size for $10 that hold all my hunting clothes and makes everything about 3 inches tall. pretty amazing.

I have 15-20+ piont bucks(trail camera) on the land but I never see anything while hunting. I am doing something wrong and no help to show me.

I am taking every precaution this year, no reason to spend this money for nothing!!

thank you for listening to my story and ANY help would be appriciated. Happy hunting everyone.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
nothing is 100%. the steps you are taking are good but don't forget the wind. put the wind in your favor, even if it means a farther walk to get where you need to be. also use rubber or the like boots put on in the field. don't forget a scent locking face mask because of your breathing.

#3 ·
To answer your first questions YES. The last question is that I use contractor bags from Home Depot, cheap, big, tough, and no scent. I do tend to get a little carried away but would much rather be too careful than get busted for being careless. Does it all matter all the time? I don't know but with a deer's nose a little can be a lot. I'm referring to old mature deer which is all I'm interested in hunting.

#4 ·
im borderline OCD when it comes to scent control.i shower then put on a base layer of scent free cloths then a i put on all my outer layers when i get to the field.i spray down my driver seat ocasionaly,no smoking or eating in the car when going hunting.i keep my boots in a bag and only wear em in the field.i hate those space bags they leak eventually and who has a vacum in the field. I use jumbo ziplocks and roll out the air or a rubbermaid foot locker.I use fresh apples as a cover scent and put doe in heat scent on pads on my boots when i walk to my stand .i always play the wind and use a wind checker all day long to watch thermals.I see plenty of deer so i think its worth the effort:yes:

#5 ·
I hope this doesn't offend anybody but I don't play the big dollar marketing game. I do nothing, I hang my coveralls and such outside under the carport each evening and I dress there in the morning. I smoke on the way, and while hunting if the urges takes me. I've never had an empty tag since 1989 when I started buying hunting license. Maybe it is the hours I hunt compared to others or something but it works for me year after year. That goes the same for B/C or P/Y measuring. A 10 point is a 10 point where I come from. But all the new fangled measuring has gotten alot more camps and leases doing game management than any other thing that has been tried. I know you can't cook the horns down to make a stew, but I'm fairly certain a spike won't be a spike next year either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.