Tight Budget Deer Rifle - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Scrub Buck

I asked the owner of the Savage 110 about the Stevens M200, pretty much a clone of the 110 without an Accu-Trigger, and he said he wouldn't even think about buying it. He bought his Savage 110 at Walmart just recently, brand new for under the MSRP of the M200. The 110's do come with the latest Accu-Trigger.

If I were to get a Savage 110, I would most definitely get it in either .270 or .30-06. I don't want to go up to 7mm, but don't want to go down to the .25-06. These are the only standard calibers currently available on the 110. (The short action 110 is no longer listed on Savage's site.)

Last edited by Whootsinator; 11-17-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM

Most gun companies make stocks that are not custom but average cut for all, so growing into a stock is a mute point, unless you buy a youth cut stock. Caliber is a distinct difference and so open for better discussion. You say you can shoot anything, well the question is how well? Big magnums generally kick hard and do you really need it? Starting with the 25-06, 270 win, 30-06 ect ammo can be purchased reasonably. I would look for and be patient for a good used scoped rifle in a commom caliber. Even a 300 sav for your neck of the woods would work well. The ideal cal may be a 308. I'm not a big Savage person (except my 99) but I hear the 110's are accurate. Don't be in a big hurry to purchase as you want to enjoy the gun for many years. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Scrub Buck

I was thinking the same as you as far as the stock goes, and I probably won't grow but a few more inches at most. I'm already taller than my mom and an inch behind my dad, both of whom aren't very tall. Height just isn't in my family. I'm currently '5"6. In the end I'll probably slap an aftermarket stock on it anyway. Of what I've heard, the Savages' stocks are their only downside.

When I said I could shoot anything, I wanted to point out that I was capable of comfortably and efficiently firing a cartridge that would be used on deer. I don't want an over-sized cartridge, and I'm not a big believer in 'Bigger is Always Better'. I think I've narrowed my decision down to .30-06, and I have my neighbor keeping an eye out for a cheap one in the local shops.

Last edited by Whootsinator; 11-17-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
ronn

the 06 is "bigger" than the 308. more whack
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
ronn

oh and i have 2 savage rifles. a 243 and their long range set up in 308, and the 110 muzzle loader good shooters all. there stocks are good synthetic stocks. I'm changing most of my wood stocks to synthetic.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Scrub Buck

Bah! This is why I hate mixing Imperial and Metric measurements when it comes to cartridge size. Metric measurements are just so much more precise, and easier to compare... You know EXACTLY how large the cartridge is, no hidden unmentioned lengths or diameters like the Imperial system...

I guess I'll continue my research.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
ronn

they are both 30 caliber or .308 its just the 06 has more powder. sort of like the 7mm and the 7mm mag. or the 7.62X39 or the 7.62X57 I think thats how they go.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Scrub Buck

Well, I've got my Uncle checking at the two shops he uses and can get good deals at and my neighbor checking out his, for a Savage 110 in .30-06.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 AM
B&C 120 Class

I think for your age and said size, that would be a great choice. It would take a few hunting seasons for you to outgrow or just grow tired of that particular model. By then you would be old enough for a job and steady income to make another gun purchase to suit you or add to the collection. In respect, you do seem quite mature for a 14 year old. Take care of the rifle you purchase and it will take care of you.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Scrub Buck

Thankyou, Whitetailer. I'd like to think I'm at least a bit above my peers, because most of them are pretty darned stupid... especially my friends. Most of the 'smart people' in my school are rich and stuck up, so I steer clear. It seems like very wealthy people are either extremely intelligent or absolute morons who skate by freely. Rarely have I found anyone in between with large sums of money. Meh.. that's completely offtopic.

This is a rifle I plan on taking very good care of, especially since I'll be purchasing it myself. Some day I hope to pass it on as my first rifle. I doubt I'll ever sell it.