Vermont Rifle Season - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Vermont Rifle Season

The Vermont rifle season opens this Saturday Nov. 15th and ends Sunday Nov. 30th.

Good luck to the Vermont hunters and the non-resident hunters coming into the state.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
B&C 100 Class

Wow thats a short season! Only 15 days?? Texas' Whitetail rifle season in Nov. 1 to the 2nd or third week of Feb. depending on which part of the state you hunt in. Why so little time in VT? Deer to Hunter Ratio or something?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
B&C 140 Class

Its called Texas versus northeast. Md is the same way. Politics.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 AM

As far as I'm aware Vermont has never had more than the standard 2 weeks (16 day) during the rifle season.
But the Vermont Deer herd is Extremely low and extending the seasons would more than likely "hurt" the herd and not help it.
Politics has nothing to do with the Vermont season.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 11-12-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM
B&C 100 Class

There I go thinking there was a legitimate conservation reason. Doh! Doesnt that casue the deer pop to go crazily high? Hunters are pretty much essential to controlling populations of deer in the world today. With such a short season I'll bet alot die from starvation and wandering into traffic and what not.

Man I'm so happy that I live in the Conservative flagship state of the US. All of our Electoral votes have gone Republican since Nixon's '72 Election. Lol
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
As far as I'm aware Vermont has never had more than the standard 2 weeks (16 day) during the rifle season.
But the Vermont Deer herd is Extremely low and extending the seasons would more than likely "hurt" the herd and not help it.
Politics has nothing to do with the Vermont season.

Ah see, thats what I intially figured.
-John Stewart Mill
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id0ntlikeyou View Post
Doesnt that casue the deer pop to go crazily high? Hunters are pretty much essential to controlling populations of deer in the world today. With such a short season I'll bet alot die from starvation and wandering into traffic and what not.

Man I'm so happy that I live in the Conservative flagship state of the US. All of our Electoral votes have gone Republican since Nixon's '72 Election. Lol
Vermont winters are brutal on deer, after you weigh in all the factors, natural predation, winter severity, hunting presure and road kills, it balances out fairly well.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
B&C 140 Class

Md has a lot of deer but only 2 week gun season. Very few big deer though. I always wondered if Vermont and NH and such have such small deer herds then why have gun season during the rut when all of the deer have a high chance of getting shot? I would think they would want to change that. I feel the same way only opposite here in Md. We can't hunt on Sundays either.

Last edited by wmi; 11-12-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
B&C 100 Class

Well thats good. I had images of frozen deer carcasses laying all over the woods which im sure this would be the case in Texas.

In October its insane the amount of deer getting hit by cars. There are just too many not to have a loooooong hunting season.

Oh and I have to amend my earlier statement. I'm ashamed to admit Texas went for Carter in '76.
-John Stewart Mill
Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
B&C 160 Class

Good luck to all!