Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   What would you do if you saw an sick/injured deer? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/2864-what-would-you-do-if-you-saw-sick-injured-deer.html)

zork18 11-10-2008 08:43 PM

What would you do if you saw an sick/injured deer?

You are out in the middle of the woods, all hunched and hunkered down and been waiting since 4 am in the morning.

Come sunrise...you saw the first deer of the day, but alas you see the deer is extremely skinny, and is in pain.

So now you have an choice take the deer down and kill it humanely and risk your chance to take down a good pointer deer or do you let the deer go and let it die off painfully so you can get a good point deer.

Keep in mind you only have one tag left, so if you take the crippled deer down. You might end up using your one and only tag.

So really I have 2 questions.

1)What would you do
2)What does the DNR rules state about this? I would imagine that they would let you keep the tag so you can take down an disabled/injured deer.

If it helps I live in Michigan

East Texas Droptine 11-10-2008 08:54 PM

I don't know what the rules state but I know that I would most deffentaly take a wonded and crippled deer...you would be doing it a big favor by putting it down that way instead of letting it die a slow death....

wmi 11-10-2008 08:54 PM

Michigan with all that CWD stuff man I don't know. I know that DNR up there is tough. I would have to be faced with it in reality to know. Just off the top of my head I probably would shoot it but I can't say 100%. Can't wait to hear the responses.

zork18 11-10-2008 09:05 PM

Me, I would shoot it down even though it would cost me my tag. I'm going to call the DNR tomorrow and I'll let you guys know the update.

Buckshot 11-10-2008 10:23 PM

Interesting senario, I think I would probably let nature take it's course, lot's of deer die of natural causes. I am looking for healthy ones. tough call.

flexj 11-11-2008 09:25 AM

An injured deer I will shoot and tag. A sick deer I may shoot, but if I aint gonna eat it I won't drag it.

Id0ntlikeyou 11-11-2008 11:05 AM

In this situation I think that I may feel bad for the animal and want to put it out of its misery, but then again, that would probably be denying some hungry wolves or bobcats their meal. It would be hard to watch and I would probably shoot the deer if it lingered too long in my sights grating at my conscience, but I'd like to think I would let nature make its decision.

Lithiumokc 11-11-2008 12:41 PM

are we talking about a sick deer with say..... 12 points hehehe if thats the case drop that sucker.

zork18 11-11-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithiumokc (Post 21218)
are we talking about a sick deer with say..... 12 points hehehe if thats the case drop that sucker.

I hunt for meat not pointers. (well...I try not to hunt for pointers but i still get my meat :biggrin:)

aka_hunter2002 11-12-2008 09:35 PM

i would shoot it then call dnr and see if i had to tag it but ether way i would drop it it is a hard call thought