What would you do if you saw an sick/injured deer? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think as hunters,we have to do the right thing.do we not love deer?of course we do.would you let your pet suffer?don't think about you or your tag.do the right thing.you have to shoot it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

This is a good one for your state DNR. In Wisconsin I think they want you to shoot them. I am not sure about the law in Minnesota, but I would lean toward shooting it.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 PM

There's a Follow-Up to this post, Click here to see the Follow-Up posts.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

I think there is more to this than alot of you realize. I would shoot it no doubt. I would then call the local Game and Fish Commission to come and get it for testing purposes. This deer may have something that would affect you or the rest of the deer in the area. I would want to know what caused him/her to be that way if the food source was good and weather not to drastic. Tag or no tag I still would not put it in the freezer.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

i would shoot but we get 3 bucks down here in mississippi so no big deal there

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 11-21-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Scrub Buck

this is a unique situation. a)is the deer skinny from a disease? b)skinny from being too injured to find food?. either way being in the field it would be hard to decide on taking the deer or not. wasting a tag on diseased meat would be a tragedy, but this would also be humane to the deer.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

Bruce good job of checking with the law.When in doubt thats what i do.In New York if you shoot a deer (or any animal)that is unfit for consumptionyou can call the DEC and they will take it and give you another tag .Im guessing for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKANSAS WHITETAILER View Post
I think there is more to this than alot of you realize. I would shoot it no doubt. I would then call the local Game and Fish Commission to come and get it for testing purposes. This deer may have something that would affect you or the rest of the deer in the area. I would want to know what caused him/her to be that way if the food source was good and weather not to drastic. Tag or no tag I still would not put it in the freezer.
With the huge herds now mother nature is stepping in and implementing her own culling methods
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 03-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Scrub Buck

Default I have been faced with this before

I had to make this call one day while hunting with my pistol in New York state. I was still hunting along a river bottom. The bedded deer saw me first and stood up about 35 yards away. It was thick but there was a kill shot opening. I sized up the deer and determined it was too small. It was not a mature doe and decided not to shoot it. We had a stare down for about a minute.

When it started to walk away I saw one of the front legs was dangling. It had been shot and had no use of one of its front legs. At that point I didn't really hesitate, I took the deer and tagged it with my doe permit. I learned a valuable lesson, small deer do NOT taste any better than big deer.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM

This would be tough for me, I really don't know, most likely I would allow mother nature take its course. I'd probably need to be there and make the decision based upon what I was looking at. In the past I would have shot it but laws and enforcement is much tougher today if you make a mistake. ??????
Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 PM
B&C 140 Class

Lots of thoughful answers so far. This is one of those personal ethics issues with no really right or wrong answer. Here's another legal concern with this situation: In my home state of Montana, it's illegal to shoot a deer and "waste" the meat. For example, you couldn't just shoot something (legally), bring it home (legally) and then decide you didn't want to use the venison. So, in the example "zork" has described, you couldn't just shoot the deer to put it "out of its misery" tag it, and then not use the meat. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to eat a deer that looked like it might be sick. But that's such a good question and has come up several times before, I wonder if anyone has asked the FWP people in their states what could be done legally to relieve this deer of suffering AND save your tag for a healthy one. Of course, the strictly legal answer might not satify a hunter's ethical standards.
I once did this with an elk that had been shot some time earlier in the day. It had a broken shoulder and was limping by me when I killed it. Luckily, the meat was fine.

Last edited by onehorse; 03-29-2009 at 01:48 PM.