remington 760 gamemaster - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default remington 760 gamemaster

i was given a remington 760 gamesmaster in .308 caliber and was wondering what the effective range for this caliber was. living in ohio i doubt whether i will have a use for this gun but maybe a trip out west in the future. also does anyone have any experience with this particular model, pro's-con's. will be a nice gun to pass on to my boys in the future. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

dont know anything about the gamemaster the most i could tell you is that army uses the 308. for a sniper round so it has good range no doubt about it.

work to live
live to hunt...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Here ya go deputydog, here's a link to Remington info about the 760 GameMaster <-click to view

Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Scrub Buck

I used to own a Mauser in 308. Was the straightest most accurate rifle Ive seen. My friend used it one year and loved it(he was a sniper in the Army). I needed money one year and sold it right before season opener. Not bad I paid $75 and got $225 four years later..I miss it....
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

what kind of range do they have?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 AM

A .308 can hit targets at 1000 yards but the average shooter shouldn't even attempt those type of shots.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 AM
B&C 100 Class

what effective range for hunting? it's nice to know that i have something that would be an effective gun for say, mulie or elk out west, should the opportunity arise.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

Question Well, practice is fi

Well, practice is fine and dandy but if you are not prtniicacg right, then you are wasting your time. Practice as follows:1. Make sure your bow is tuned by someone that knows what they are doing.2. Determine if you will shoot fingers or a release.3. Figure out a comfortable steady stance in which to shoot, later on you will want to practice from a ton of different positions to simulate real shooting conditions.4. Determine a comfortable draw weight for you to be able draw back consistently and silently.5. Find anchor point on which you will hold at full draw and make sure you draw back to it every single time you draw your bow.6. Do not grip the bow with the bow hand when shooting. You hand should be loose and free at full draw. Otherwise you will torque the bow.7. Start at 20 yards and go back farther and farther until you cannot accurately shoot groups inside the size of a paper plate, which is roughly the size of an animals kill zone.8. Breath steadily until the shot. I hold my breath and then let a little out right before I shoot, like rifle hunters do.9. Follow through. Keep aiming at the target even after you release the arrow. This will stabilize you bow and will keep you from adding any torque to the shot.10. When using a release, you will want to use back tension to pull the trigger. Meaning, keep full draw and then by squeezing your shoulder blades together you will pull your finger into the release trigger. You do not want to pinch or hit the trigger.11. Confidence is huge in archery. Envision hitting the bullseye. If you believe you will drill it, then you are much more likely to do so!12. Have patience! Bow hunting and shooting can take a long while, possibly even seasons to hone your skills.13. HAVE FUN!!!!!-If you aren't having fun, they why do it?Good luck and it is great to see new hunters taking off where others have started!

Last edited by Siddhant; Yesterday at 08:24 PM. Reason: KtZSTNg8Fi
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Scrub Buck

I had a Rem. 308 Gamemaster (pump) back in the early 80's. The .308 is noted as one of the top calibers and I believe milatary snipers used .308 for some time. However as has been posted a pump in not know for long range accuracy and is more of a fast handling thick cover type gun. Mine was not quiet as accurate as I would have liked and bought nothing but bolt action rifles ever since.

Great gun though and the famous Benoit family of deer hunters are known to use the Rem. Gamemaster.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 PM

My 30-06 760 is very accurate. Quite a few years ago I slipped and fell breaking the stock. I ordered a 7600 stock/forearm from Remington, fit perfect and cut down on some weight. I'd have no problem shooting 300 yds with it and with practice a bit more.