First Time Deer Hunter - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Scrub Buck

Default First Time Deer Hunter

Hello Fellas:

Live in Southern Missouri where there's a lot of white tail deer. This is my first time deer hunting (I'm 35) and I'm taking my son in youth season today and tomorrow. He's shooting with a .243 youth rifle.

I'm searching the forum for just good pointers about things to do and not to do to make our hunt successful. Went this morning and saw 6 on 80 acres but they were all running. My little guy doesn't want to sit long. But I'm thinking sitting is pretty important after our hunth this morning.

Any advice on anything would be appreciated.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 12:10 PM
B&C 180 Class

ya found the right place.we encourage a family atmosphere here and you can read our tips section and browse thru all the topics posted allready.feel free to ask questions.you should sign your son up for the youth forum and contest as well.good luck out there make sure he has a good time and stay safe.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 PM
ronn

keep the wind in your face whether sitting or slipping through the woods. that small a property sitting would be best but keep it fun for your son. make a game of it how long can you sit then try to beat it next time out. don't stomp up the property. it takes years to figure this thing out but tips from others will speed the learning up. good luck
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
B&C 120 Class

Hey Welcome Aboard
Old 11-02-2008, 10:08 AM
B&C 100 Class

How old is your son? I used to go with my grandfather when I was 4,5,6 and up. I was a pain to keep still and quiet, but he took me anyways. Make sure he stays warm and has a comfortable seat, because if he is like I was I would squirm around all day if I was cold. I know about hunting on small plots of land, man it can get tough. Just find out where they bed down and where they try to go and try to catch them in between. Alot of the deer I see are just passing through our place, but we've hunted it long enough to know about where they like to pass through at.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Scrub Buck

try a ground blind like the ameristep doghouse its easy to set up and move it will keep you hidden so movement won't be a major problem also do what i did with my son bring some candy (sugar free so he won't get hyper) and give him some time limits to be still make it a game with the candy as a prize it will teach him to be still anyway thanks for taking time to bring up a future hunter and good luck to both of you
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Welcome Matt, glad to have you aboard.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Hunting ethics and safety

Welcome to the hunting world! The most important things in hunting are safety and ethical hunting.

Don't shoot a deer just to shoot a deer. If it is not a good shot, don't take it. Know the limitations of your shooting abilities, the shooting abilities of your son, the limitations of your caliber/bullet and the weather conditions (wind drift, etc.). Be aware what is beyond your target. Shot placement is important with all calibers, but especially with a 243. You do not want to track a wounded deer. Also be aware of the proper hit zone(s) for the type of shot you are offered. If the deer is small and there is little meat, pass up the shot. See if you can find an experienced hunter/rifleman who is willing to work with you and your son. Be sure to get permission for that person to also be hunting on the land.

I would prefer that you and your son be in a tree stand and not on the ground. This will get both of you off the ground if someone takes a shot at a deer that is heading towards you. It is also safer for the shots you would take, as the bullet is aimed towards the ground. Be sure both you and your son use a properly fitted safety harness. Never climb up or down a tree stand with a loaded gun. I always unload my gun, put it in a thin fabric case and attach a cord to raise and lower the gun. Make sure the gun is unloaded.

Hunting is a great way to teach patience. Teach your son to appreaciate what God has made in nature.

You have been given some very good info in the above responses like making sure both of you are comfortable and warm. Also make very slow movements with all of your body parts (head, arms, legs and torso). If you so shoot a dear, wait about three to five minutes before you leave the stand. Is is possible for the deer to get up and run off after going down. Always approach a downed animal from the rear. Use a stick (preferred) or the muzzle end of the rifle to poke the animal in the buttocks.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Scrub Buck

i just shot my first buck this morning it a great rush!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Scrub Buck

My kids can't hunt here in Nebraska until they are 12, so I take them with me when I go scouting and teach them about tracks and trails and such. As an outfitter I have access to lots of good ground and just love taking my 2 sons with me to scout (my daughter is only 2, but she'll be going soon). We just shot this buck (a photo) this past weekend. The boys and I had a great time sneaking up on this buck, we took the photo thru my spotting scope.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Buck 002.jpg (30.8 KB, 14 views)