AR-10 cartridge - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default AR-10 cartridge

Hi guys I just bought a DPMS LR308 with a 24in. stainless bull barrel,Im wondering what the best factory cartridge would be best for killing whitetail and hogs.Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 AM
B&C 180 Class

sorry cant help ya but im sure somebody can chime in
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 AM
ronn

the .308 is a great round for both. First I'm not sure about the state you are in but my state limits the mag capacity. a fully loaded rifle can only hold 5 rounds. so check on that. we also can not use fully jacketed ammo for hunting for good reason I might add. any good hunting ammo that shoots well through your rifle is the answer to your question. your rifle may not like Hornady where the next rifle might. so you have to shoot several different brands and find the one that shoots the tightest groups in your rifle. those "assault" type rifle can be picky. I know my bushmaster was very picky about ammo not that i ever would hunt with it.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 AM

The Panther Arms DRMS LR .308 is a tactical weapon designed for Military Guardsmen and soldiers who engage an enemy., Wild animals are not an enemy.
No individual should choose a tactical weapon for hunting.
I stand behind every Soldier, serving near and far for our freedoms but tactical weapons were desinged for their use.,
those weapons were not desinged for hunting.
I would suggest buying or borrowing a Rifle more suited for the field of hunting! Welcome to the site

Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
ronn

i'm with bruce on this and that was what i was hinting at. just wasn't as blunt but i agree. sorry for any hurt feelings.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

Dag Napit!! Bruce beat me to it again. Sorry but he is right. As a NRA Life Member I don't like saying it but it is true.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default AR-10 cartridge

I would like to start out by saying long live the NRA Ive been a member for a long time. Now Im sorry if I affended any of you Zumbo fans,but I love to shoot my AR style rifles, and to be honest I dont think a deer knows what muzzel a .308 bullet came from a.308 is a .308.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default AR-10 cartridge

Ronn,thanks for the advice Ive already checked it out.I just bought the rifle and Ive been spending my free time (hard to come by) in the woods bow hunting, I posted the thread hoping maybe someone owned one and could give me some insight. The 15 is a blast for varmint so I figure A 10 would be fun for deer.I like to shoot for distance and acurracy thats why I bought that configuration rifle,the only time I will hunt with it is out of my stand or blind. LONG LIVE THE NRA AND MAY THE GOOD LORD BRING OUR TROOPS HOME SAFE
Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
ronn

gator they are fun to shoot and i always wanted an ar 10 just for grins. not many out there. i just think there are better choices for a hunting rifle but thats me. if thats what you want to hunt with you surely don't need our permission. to each their own and more power to you. for a tack driving platform, there are better than the ar type rifles in my opinion. the ars were made for rounds down range. thats why the sniper rifles are bolt actions, better platform. plus i think about the appearance to non/anti hunters. thats all. like i said the ar's are picky so its something you will have to work with. thats about all i tell you to try and help. later

Last edited by ronn; 10-16-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 PM

Gator you didn't offend anyone here. My reply to your post wasn't an order or a demand, my reply was a suggestion,
a suggestion aimed at your best interest, like ronn says there are many organizations that are always looking for ways to
try to end our right to own weapons and/or ban hunting altogether.
Your choice to use the AR style weapons only fuels their determination BUT you have the right to use any weapon you choose to hunt with.
and once again ronn is right the AR's will perform very well but there are WAY better choices than the AR's for long range accuracy.

Closed Thread