Cigarette Smoke? - Page 6 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Unregistered

My brother in law always smokes and every deer he ever shot was with one lit . This past season his doe was less than ten feet when he shot her and he was on the ground and smoke was blowing in her face.last year a doe walked past him at about twenty five ft. and he was on the ground . This year I had a y buck in my sights at about fifteen yrds with smoke blowing in his face and I was on the ground also but could not shoot needed three points on one side and the other point just would not grow . Just had to put my two cents into this discussion.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Scrub Buck

Yeah you could go 'round and 'round with this one. My father smokes while he hunts, and never has a problem.

It could scare 10 deer away, and draw in another 10 curious deer.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
B&C 120 Class

What I find interesting about this thread is that it ended in Nov of 2008 and fired up again in Nov of 2011! After a 3 year layoff. Seriously, the guy that started this thread is doing what he can-keeping his stuff outside and leaving first in the morning, that's all a guy can do. A smoker staying with a group of nonsmkrs owes it to the other guys to not smoke inside, so big deal, walk outside and have one. As far as smokin' in the woods, if you are not infringing on someone else, do whatever. I don't know how cig smoke affects deer. Deer biologists that have studied penned deer have determined that a deer can smell 2.5 million times better than a human. How they determine stats like these I don't know. For every 10 stories of guys who do all the "right" stuff for success, there are 10 stories of guys who do all the "wrong" stuff and are just as successful. So who's to say? I do think that human odor gets them way moreso than cigs ever will. Well, I would post some more but I gotta go outside and have a cigLOLOL(kidding!)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

Ya. I know a guy who last year had like 3 deer walk out infont of him within an hour while he was smoking. Smokes like 2 packs a day. He saw I think 12 deer in the first 4 days of rifle in Canada and I didn't see a thing! Lol
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 PM

Maybe when a pack hits $7.00 this thread will go away.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Maybe when a pack hits $7.00 this thread will go away.

hahaha nice one!

I'm on Tom's ship here... I agree with him. I think human oders spook deer more often than smoke. The other thing to consider is if you hunt in an area where trash is burned or controlled burns are done periodically. If so, I'd say deer are going to be much more accustomed to the smoke smell. My father-in-law burns trash no more than 100 yds from the woods I hunt. Do I believe the deer as used to it, yes. Obviously, or else they wouldn't be there.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
B&C 120 Class

HAHA HM, in the next county over from me they are close to $8 a pack!! I'll stick with beer, it's way cheaper and more fun. One thing for sure about odor, an older doe will make you WAY more often than any other deer will, and that definitely includes good bucks.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Smokes

I'm not sure what you grimy cigs you guys are smoking but I pay almost 10 a pack lol
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1516 View Post
I'm not sure what you grimy cigs you guys are smoking but I pay almost 10 a pack lol
make my own $19.03 a carton and better than any store bought stuff. No chemicals
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Hellbilly, I would be concerned if they also made you hungry.... Smoking took my Dad's life that's why I'm so down on it, but to each their own. Deer don't smell percocets do they???