Cigarette Smoke? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

i smoke every now and again, mainly a cope man... my hunting buddy wont let me in the truck if he smells it
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

I agree with no smoking and as little scent as possible, including washing your clothes using baking soda or a detergent made for hunting, with no scent or brightner. I also like to shower before I hunt if possible. But some deer do not appear to mind smoking or other human smells. Maybe they are young deer which are curious, or conditioned to the smell by humans being around and not alarming them. If given a choice I would avoid it. But deer are sometimes confused by more than one hunter and avoiding one hunter may cause a deer to slip your way. It's happened to me. I'd not rock the boat. Keep your eyes peeled and be thankful for a place to hunt and helpers if you do get one. BTW I've hunted with my nephew for a few years, he smokes and get lot's of deer including big bucks. So do my son and I when I hunt on his family land. Being in a good spot
and being skilled and ready are more important to me.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Scrub Buck

Yea I would try and stay away from the smoke because even humans can smell that from a distace and deer have way better smelling than human. I was in this tree stand one season and its back when I dipped and my dumb spit out on the ground and sure enough right when I did it, I looked up and there was a big 10 point staring at me and then hauled tail out of there. I was upset and just threw another dip in.

Last edited by timberghost; 11-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have hunted with people who smoke twice and i killed a deer each time (a doe and a spike). I really dont think the smoke will bother the deer very much......but i sure hate the smell!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

I use to think that Cig Smoke hurt the hunt as well, since I used to be a smoker. Well I want to show you something that not only were my uncle and I smoking at the making of this video, talking loud and yes shooting... it does not seem to bother the deer, least not this one at 125 yards while I was shooting a .44 Magnum.

YouTube - Whitetail deer grazing

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
B&C 140 Class

Give me a break!! Yahoos at their best! It is a darn button buck that has not even lived through its first season. This subject is so darn ridiculous I can't stand it. It is as bad as Obama is going to protect our 2nd amendment rights. Geezzzz it reminds me of my favorite Forest Gump saying and hopefully everyone can figure that one out.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmi View Post
Give me a break!! Yahoos at their best! It is a darn button buck that has not even lived through its first season. This subject is so darn ridiculous I can't stand it. It is as bad as Obama is going to protect our 2nd amendment rights. Geezzzz it reminds me of my favorite Forest Gump saying and hopefully everyone can figure that one out.
We having a bad day today?

~~~~

Old 11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

If someone is teaching another teach correctly. You don't teach one to drive and then tell them it is OK to cross the double line. IT'S NOT. 90% of all deer harvested each year are younger than 2.5 years of that number 80% is 1.5 or younger. A child sooner or later will burn themselves the only diff. with a deer is the accident is usually fatal. Saying deer don't care about gun blasts, cig. smoke, chew is wrong. There are always exceptions to every rule because of conditions surrounding the particular area. Bottom lines is this--Do you want to be a better deer hunter? Do you want to harvest a trophy buck? If the answer is yes than start paying attention to the details and practice good hunting techniques. Can you kill deer the yahoo way of coarse, can you shoot a big buck yes. Now can you do it time and time again --year after year---several times each year? No way in heck. Do any of the deer mags or shows say all of this is OK? Then why the heck say it here? We are here to help one another. 3 pages on this subject and it sounds like that commercial saying to make a lot of noise and wear cologne. On TV everyone knows it is a joke. BAD DAY? People teaching others how to be bad hunters makes me have a bad day.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "yahoos at their best" mean?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "yahoos at their best" mean?
Some call it Redneck or Hillbilly way of doing things. Dang I should of just pretended I had product to sell or sponsors to make happy with my post and said ya just don't do it this way. Sorry I asked a button buck to stand in for a smarter doe that, well..... would have done the same thing while she ate.

Now if your in a treestand and the deer is at 15 yards or so, during bowhunting season... no don't do this. But my son and I have hunted the same area for many years, and have talked at normal voice levels while walking. Dang if I didn't shoot a stupid deer that stepped out and just stood there.

Go figure.

~~~~

Last edited by Whitetail_Freak_Hunter; 11-10-2008 at 05:20 AM.