Deer Hunting Forums banner

300 h&h model 70 pre 64

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pikachustopit 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. My dad had a 300 h&h pre 64 model 70 247K serial #. He is older now and doesn't hunt anymore so I asked him if I could take care of it for him and he gave it to me. I've used it to kill 3 deer and love it! Only down fall I've ran into is the ammo is expensive and I don't hand load. Yet. My question is what is it worth. I've seen them online in that caliber from $700 to almost $3000. Just want an idea of what I've got. Don't want to sell it.

#2 · (Edited)
condition is everything. Also, there are so many variations that can add or subtract value. A starting point for a model 70 in 300cal would be about 1800.00 in 80-90% condition. Excessive wear would lower the value considerably. The value could be pretty high if it's a rare variant and in 90%+ condition. You can do a production year by serial number and go from there. Because it was your dad's rifle it's value is really high at least to you!

#3 ·
.300 H&H is a classic caliber that just isn't seen much these days, overtaken by the more popular magnums. But highly sought after by collectors. As said above by HM, the value is based on condition. Given what you know, you may want to stick it in the corner of the safe and sit on it, or give it back to your Dad to use as retirement income if he needs it.

#8 ·
.300 H&H is a classic caliber that just isn't seen much these days, overtaken by the more popular magnums. But highly sought after by collectors. As said above by HM, the value is based on condition. Given what you know, you may want to stick it in the corner of the safe and sit on it, or give it back to your Dad to use as retirement income if he needs it.
Absolutely agree here. However, I would get two. One for my dad but one for myself as well :) I'm a big fan of classic guns.

#7 ·
Time to start reloading

Here is a thought for the price of several boxes of factory 300 H&H you could be a long way toward having the equipment you need to reload for the rifle. A very basic loading press is not that expensive. Most of the makers of reloading presses have beginner packages that include the basics. A set of dies then would be all that is required. I bet your Dad has some cases already and empty cases are available online. Besides cost the biggest advantage I would see is that you can shoot reduced loads in the rifle producing 30-06 velocities. That would make the rifle much easier to shoot and no Deer could tell the difference.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.