More early success! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 12-22-2015, 09:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default More early success!

Hey all, just thought I'd drop by again as I typically do after PA's rifle season. Only got to make it out twice this year due to a new (but much better paying job) but I was able to make it worth my time! Didn't see or hear anything the first Monday and called it a day before I really hoped too. Hunting private property that borders state game lands didn't yield the results I hoped it would.

First Saturday, I got back in the same stand as first day and immediately had activity all around me before first light. About 20 minutes after legal shooting light I heard some more movement off to my left. I'm not sure what it was, but it never showed anything to put my scope on.

A minute or so later, about 65 yards ahead of me, I caught the slightest bit of movement and I could see something looking right at my tree. I pulled the rifle up and was able to see a deer looking right at me! After an agonizing 30 seconds, the deer decided to look away briefly. Big mistake! I was able to zoom in some more and got a better look at what was in front of me. A touch small but worth every pound of meat button buck that's was using the fog as cover. He looked back towards me and we watched each other for what seemed like forever. I finally was able to gather my thoughts and pulled the trigger!

After collecting my thoughts, I zoomed in a little further to see that the deer I just shot at was laying right where it stood. All I could see was the white of its belly. I shook off the shakes and hung up my rifle and climbed down to see just exactly what I had on the ground. I walked up to the deer and he sure enough was deader than a door nail. Went back to my stand and got my rifle and pack and took care of the dirty work. This was all before 7:30 am!

About an hour later I hear two shots right after one another real close by. I later would find out it was my father at the other side of the property. He sent me a text asking for help tracking and I happily got down to help him look. Sadly, after 2 hours of following blood, losing the trail and going back to the last spot, we couldn't find the deer he shot. There was nice, bubbly lung blood but no dead animal. As much as it stunk to not recover the animal he shot, we were able to celebrate the fact that I got another deer in the early hours hunting together.

I know I've mentioned it before but, for a brief period of time, my dad and I hadn't had any sort of relationship. We're both glad that we were able to grow from it and now we're back to being the best hunting buddies again that the other could have ever asked for! That next Monday we skinned and cut the deer into some of the best cuts of meat I've ever tasted. I absolutely love seeing the work we out in together come full circle. Here are a nice "woods" picture for everyone. Hope you enjoyed the read!

More early success!-image.jpg