help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 04-06-2015, 04:01 PM

Default help

I got a lead on a late 1970's "Tommy Gun" probably an Auto Ordnance model but don't know yet. I don't know if it takes the drum or is just a stick model. The gun has been stored under a bed for 30 years so I have no Idea of the condition. If anyone has an idea of potential value or just thoughts on this let me know. I think it would be a cool purchase as I have wanted one but never made a purchase. This is gun that perfect condition doesn't matter as I would like to burn up some fun range time. I hope to get a look at it in the next two weeks and will let you know.... thanks for any thoughts on this one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 03:59 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default They are a real blast in full auto...

I was lucked to fire one owned by a retired Florida Cop that was an original 1928 Thompson. It was one of three taken off a hit squad in the 60s that Cuba had sent to Florida. No Kidding.. The one you are looking to get is probibly semi auto. They were offered in both aluminum and steel receivers from auto ordanance. I think all the semi auto ones will have atleast a 16inch barrel. If it is a full auto that was not licensed it can never be licensed now, and would be a felony to own. A guy walked into a gunshop that I worked at and offered to sell them a full auto AK47. None of those were ever legally brought in to this Country. He was told to leave immediately and to DESTROY/LOSE that rifle. I think that if it is a Model 28 it can take the drum. The newer style M1s used in WW2 with the side charging handle can only use stick mags. Let us know if you pick it up. I think the newer semi auto versions fire from a closed bolt.

Karl
Old 04-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Thanks Karl, ya I won't be buying a full auto anything, not looking for trouble. Even a stick clip will not break a deal for me. Karl do you know if they will only shoot FMJ ammo? Any idea of worth in say good condition?
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default The full auto one I fired we only shot 230gr round nose

I believe the open bolt full auto rifles were designed for round nose and their rate of fire was around 450 rpm. I remember for some reason that the new semi autos are all closed bolt. If that is the case I bet hollow point ammo would cycle fine. You may need to use 230gr or hot 200gr loads for reliable functioning. Hopefully someone on the forum has fired one of the newer ones and really has the correct info for you. If it has the aluminum receiver lead bullets may hang on the feed ramp coming into the chamber from the magazine.

Karl