Range work - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Range work

It finally stopped raining here long enough for me to go to the range yesterday. Tried the 270 WSM with the Barnes 110 grainers over 67.3 grains of Hunter powder. Man those bullets were screaming! Averaged 3559 fps with a top velocity of 3604! Didn't improve groups though, so I think I'll cut back a couple of 1/10s.
Also used the ranging target that I developed so I know how far an animal is when I look at it through my scope. If you want to know how this works, go to the home page, click on the "Long Range Shooting" link. You can read 5 articles which I wrote on the subject, or go directly to the link on "How to Determine Distance of Long Range Shots".
Anyone else doing any range work at this time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 AM

onehorse, what creatures will meet their demise with the barnes 110 gr? Would this be for antelope? Four guys from our PA hunting camp are going back to Eagle Colorado for elk this fall. I opted out for this trip till I see how the upcoming neck surgery does and what long lasting movement changes result. Good luck with that bullet work.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 06-01-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

HuntingMan, that load will be used for antelope and deer, although I have no doubt that it would knock a bull elk right out of its hooves. Even though that seems like a small bullet weight-wise, the fact that it doesn't break up at any reasonably safe (FAST) speed makes it deadly for any size deer or elk. As you know, this idea of ultra-fast bullets was pioneered by Roy Weatherby decades ago, but, until recently, few bullets could withstand that kind of velocity. I'll use my 300WSM for elk - not because it's better, but just because I have it for elk hunting. (Anyway, that's why I told my wife I had to buy it.)
By the way, the biggest bull elk I ever mounted as a professional taxidermist was killed by a 16 year old kid using a Barnes bullet out of a 243. The bullet dropped the bull dead in its tracks.
Hope you get to join your buddies for an elk hunt next time they go.
Here's a picture of what a BIG little bullet can do:

Last edited by onehorse; 06-01-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:15 AM
ronn

nice work one horse. it like that old saying. good things come in little packages.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM

and all this time I've been told size does matter??? I haven't tried the barnes muzzleloading bullet, the claim is for full expansion at low speeds. Pictures look impressive. That young hunter was spoiled early in life with such a nice elk. Now all that pressure to get a bigger one must haunt him in his sleep. Wish I had his nightmares. Onehorse, Roy knew his stuff. Those guys from camp, two will be using 300's. I use a 270 WM cause I don't have a 300.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
B&C 180 Class

was supposed to go to the range with my brother saturday but the weather was lousy,gonna try to get in this weekend its open thurs to sun
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM
B&C 140 Class

Awsome Mount Onehorse.i Believe The You Can Harvest Any North American Animal With Small Rifle Calibers With A Well Placed Shot.shot Placement Is Critical With Smaller Calibers But Very Effective.but Thats Just My Opinion